PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I bought a radiator for a non turbo pt and its for a turbo pt WILL IT WORK?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2014, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Location: Somewhere in Central New York. Home of snow, ice, salt, and other nice things lol.
Default I bought a radiator for a non turbo pt and its for a turbo pt WILL IT WORK?

I bought a radiator for a non turbo pt and its for a turbo pt WILL IT WORK?
The only difference I see is at the bottom. Just want to make sure before I go any further as I didnt see difference until after I am half done installing it. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Thanks very much
Old 16 Aug 2014, 12:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: I bought a radiator for a non turbo pt and its for a turbo pt WILL IT WORK?

would be nice if you introduced yourself first
NitroPT likes this.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I bought a radiator for a non turbo pt and its for a turbo pt WILL IT WORK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
would be nice if you introduced yourself first

PT problems read this FIRST
Old 16 Aug 2014, 12:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: Somewhere in Central New York. Home of snow, ice, salt, and other nice things lol.

sorry freaking out a bit. lol. I started another thread and did all that. just in a time crunch and havent figured out how to delete threads yet. I promise I'll post pics of my car if i get it fixed ok
NitroPT and boonie2 like this.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 12:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

It will fit. The dimensions are the same except the core is thicker on the turbo rad for increased cooling. It will perform nicely on your car.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks For response myckee I appreciate the help.
Question: Ok it fits but the two air charger cooler lines are my next issue. If i pour coolant into radiator does it flow out through the air charger cooler lines? If I just take one and connect it to the other with a coolant line would that be ok or am I just being a Noob?
Old 16 Aug 2014, 01:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

No problem! By air charge connections, I believe you are talking about the trans/powersteering cooler. Nothing will leak out of here if you don't use them.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To repeat from another thread you started:
In need of help of experienced PT owners. Please
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It would be more helpful to use if would describe what your cooling problem is and how you determined it.

You have installed the radiator so learn from the mistake and bad application information that eBay uses , pull it sell it and get the larger core and correct radiator for the Turbo PT Cruisers.

The Turbo needs the slight extra cooling capacity because once you get into even 1psi of boost the coolant temperature will raise because of the coolant running through the Turbo. An NA PT Cruiser does not have this condition and therefore a smaller capacity radiator.

The PT Cruiser has inadequate under hood air circulation which compounds the complete temperature control equation. You must at least stay within the specification for any cooling system components in order to prevent cooling issues.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 03:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Non-Turbo radiator into a Turbo PT, will it work?

My 03 Dream Cruiser had a non-Turbo fan, radiator, trans cooler in it when I got it. It was not done properly but after a month or two of ins and outs I got it working well, no heat problems, BUT the engine light is on and codes to non-functioning cooling fan. I have not yet installed the inside switches for the fan yet but drive it with fan direct to the battery for now as it is not a daily yet.
The Turbo radiator is different from the non-Turbo radiator in several ways. Since I don't have one to compare I'll assume the core is maybe one row thicker as noted here. Among other diffs are the mounts for the trans cooler are part of the AC condensor tanks and the driver radiator side bracket is made differently to support the charge air cooler as is the pass side. The radiator neck on the non-Turbo radiator is part of the top rather than removeable.

Since I had to modify various non-Turbo components to work with the air charge cooler etc. it is different from what you will be doing. You'll surely have to modify the side brackets to accomodate the charge cooler or make up something on the driver's side as I did.

Stick it in there and see what needs to be done. I had a lot of work to do since I had NO Turbo pieces except the air charge cooler still there.

I will say this about cooling needs. I'm here near, really near, Houston where the heat and humidity combo is murder on AC systems and have had no cooling problems with the "smaller" radiator with only low speed fan in operation. When I get my switches wired I'll have both speeds for manual operation but even today in heat factors of 102 plus no heat problems. Gauge reads steady just below the center line of the dial.

Are you doing this because Turbo radiators are hard to find or ridiculously expensive like the fans?

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 16 Aug 2014 at 03:12 pm.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Really heat is an issue with Turbo Charged PT Cruiser unless you are modifying parts to upgrade from what is stock you should not use anything except parts specified for use with a Turbo Charged PT Cruiser.

The temperature in my area exceed 100F and up 112F + on a regular basis during the summer months so I can tell you coolant control is a challenge.

If some are using the factory gauge for reference as well a factory 195F thermostat I have news for you only think you have no high coolant temperatures.