PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT will not start at all! No crank, nothing!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2014, 03:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT will not start at all! No crank, nothing!

I have seen several topics on this issue but none had reallay addressed my particular issue I am ok with cars and figuring stuff out but this has me stumped, first, I live in phoenix az and lately my 06 PT has not been starting normally. This has only been going on since its been crazy hot out. Which is about 3 months now. I would leave for work in the morning and it would start up fine but after being parked in the heat for around for hours I would go to pick up lunch and it started to give me problems as in having to turn the key several times to get it to kick over and start. Not soon after it started I found I had a bad battery so within a few days I had replaced it. This was about a month ago. So battery is brand new. Anyways, long story short, its gotten progressively worse for the past 2 weeks until yesterday it would not do anything when I tried to start it. I could not here even the common "click" I see posted here until I opened the hood and stuck my head out when turning the key I heard a very faint click noise. I had it towed to my home last night and I checked this morning for codes and there are none except for a few past codes like "o2 sensor" "evap" 4intl" catalist" "no mileage" just few dif things would come up on the read button. No P-codes at all which is very strange. I'm truly crossing fingers that the heat didn't destroy my PCM could it be ignition sensor? Maybe starter??. I really need help with this as I'm going to start replacing 1 by 1 as I can but really don't want to guess at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Will chk back little later for any posts. Thanks in advance! OH and yhes all the bells and whistles come on when I turn the key its just not starting cranking anything at all....
2006 PT Touring edition. Fully loaded. Chrome wheels, chrome grill, chrome door guards CHROME EVERYWHERE! EXTREME sound system! Current mileage only 52,000 give, take. Still a work in creation, by NO means done with her! (owned since 2007)

Last edited by Cruiser72; 16 Aug 2014 at 03:33 pm. Reason: added few last details.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 04:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT will not start at all! No crank, nothing!

Hint: Introduce your self and tell a little about your cruiser before most people respond. You will get better responce.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 16 Aug 2014, 04:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

First, check your battery cables. I know your lights come on when you turn the key but the starter is a huge load and often a loose battery cable will not allow it to start. If your cables are clean and tight then my GUESS is the starter.

If you have a test light you can have someone turn the key and verify you are getting the key signal to the starter. That is the little wire. If it lights up then that is eliminated as a problem.

Sometimes the main power cable is loose and over the years repeated arcing of the loose cable can eventually make a mess of the connector and not allow it to make contact properly. You can remove the main wire from the starter and clean it and put it back on snugly.

If your battery cables are ok, and you have power from the key, and the connections are all good on the starter, that pretty much only leaves the starter as the problem. You can have it checked for free at many parts stores.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do as Mckee says, and also try pushing in on key as you try to start it. (could be ignition switch).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Aug 2014, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have pushed the key in and tried to get it started and it did work in the past but now nothing I try will start it. All I can get is a faint click now but you have to listen close to catch it. I will try cleaning starterconnections. Also is there a way to know for sure. It would be the ignition switch? It all just seems very odd that the very hot weather effects it and when it was cooled off overnight it would start.
2006 PT Touring edition. Fully loaded. Chrome wheels, chrome grill, chrome door guards CHROME EVERYWHERE! EXTREME sound system! Current mileage only 52,000 give, take. Still a work in creation, by NO means done with her! (owned since 2007)
Old 16 Aug 2014, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser72 View Post
I have pushed the key in and tried to get it started and it did work in the past but now nothing I try will start it. All I can get is a faint click now but you have to listen close to catch it. I will try cleaning starterconnections. Also is there a way to know for sure. It would be the ignition switch? It all just seems very odd that the very hot weather effects it and when it was cooled off overnight it would start.
Well, the switch may have finally given up.
I think the temperature is immaterial and coincidental.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Aug 2014, 09:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser72 View Post
The way to know if it is the switch is to put a test light on the small wire on the starter and turn the key. If the switch is working the test light will light. If it doesn't light then it means no signal is coming from the switch.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, here's how things played out. There is a good mechanic that lives next door and we ruled out a lot of things. He has a special hand held that checks everything and thru trial and error wound it down to the ignition switch. However, we were not sure if we needed to reprogram the key after replacing that which we believed we did possibly so to be safe I just took it to the dealer, the dredded dealer..lol..anyway after having my car all day they called me saying that the TIPM module had a short in it. I have seen lots of stories on this subject and it seems a lot of PT's have had issues with those. Totally integrated power module" well I was told that its gonna cost me 1008$ to replace it by the dealer, does this sound about right? They did say I would not have to pay if it didn't fix the problem but now I believe that's the problem. Being that its pretty easy to work on being near the top is that a right price for it? Again thanks to all that have helped me out, me being new here and all. I appreciate all the feedback and help from everyone!!
Old 18 Aug 2014, 11:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

They do hit you pretty hard for dealer parts. I had already replaced my TIPM from RockAuto because my headlights only had hi beam, that fixed that problem.
The PCM had multiple codes and I bought a rebuilt unit and sent the replacement back afew times because they had multiple random codes. Finally after replacing the 3rd or 4th one I received one that I could get a stable voltage reading and just one code P0032 and I found that to be and oxidized ground wire.
BUT not before I got a replacement that started and ran but when I disconnected the battery, it lost its security setting and like you would not even turn over. The little red security light would be blinking, I put the old PCM back in and it started right up, so keep in mind the PCM can do the same thing. The key chip can probably do the same thing too.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 19 Aug 2014, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
First, check your battery cables. I know your lights come on when you turn the key but the starter is a huge load and often a loose battery cable will not allow it to start. If your cables are clean and tight then my GUESS is the starter.

If you have a test light you can have someone turn the key and verify you are getting the key signal to the starter. That is the little wire. If it lights up then that is eliminated as a problem.

Sometimes the main power cable is loose and over the years repeated arcing of the loose cable can eventually make a mess of the connector and not allow it to make contact properly. You can remove the main wire from the starter and clean it and put it back on snugly.

If your battery cables are ok, and you have power from the key, and the connections are all good on the starter, that pretty much only leaves the starter as the problem. You can have it checked for free at many parts stores.
I will add that I had a similar issue, I was stranded and the car would not start. All connections were very clean and had dielectric grease on them to prevent corrosion. They had been cleaned within 2 months of the no start incident. I replaced the ignition switch, swapped relays, and replaced a good battery. In the end, it was the cables. Despite looking good, they were bad.