Advertisements
help with cam sprockets

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2014, 08:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default help with cam sprockets

I am replacing a leaking water pump on my 03 2.4l engine. I can't get the cam pully bolts to loosen. I am thinking to make a holder as pictured in my manual. My impact with 10gal compressor won't get it. Any suggestions?
Old 17 Aug 2014, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: help with cam sprockets

You can use a wedge rubber door stop or wooden shims between the cam gears to loosen or tighten the bolts. I would also recommend that you take pictures to remind you what goes were. Also take picks of the finial alignment before you cover it up to verify it later if it comes into question. I know it's in time becomes, I think it's in time. Picture doesn't change or forget. Start with it with it just hanging there to make sure everything is good. Here are some useful threads.

Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 17 Aug 2014 at 12:22 pm.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 06:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: help with cam sprockets

Thanks for the reply busted. I did make a spanner tool today
with a couple 8mm bolts threaded into it. It worked like a charm. Great suggestion taking pictures. I am original owner and did the timing belt and water pump at 100k. I think I will change both again now at 157k. They Both look OK I think just the o ring seal was leaking. Not sure but the leak was getting progressively worse for about 6 months. Water was leaking below the crank, steady flow once the pressure was up. Finally car became undrivable.
Great repair threads. They really help people like me.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: help with cam sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by diller33 View Post
Thanks for the reply busted. I did make a spanner tool today
with a couple 8mm bolts threaded into it. It worked like a charm. Great suggestion taking pictures. I am original owner and did the timing belt and water pump at 100k. I think I will change both again now at 157k. They Both look OK I think just the o ring seal was leaking. Not sure but the leak was getting progressively worse for about 6 months. Water was leaking below the crank, steady flow once the pressure was up. Finally car became undrivable.
Great repair threads. They really help people like me.
Thank you, That was my first as well. Studied up on it here as well. lots more stuff in the how to's in the tech and performance section. If you haven't found that yet. Sounds like a good plan.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com