Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating and boiling coolant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2014, 08:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating and boiling coolant

I have a 2002 PT cruiser that has been boiling coolant for sometime now. The Chrysler dealer has repaired the cooling assembly and installed new thermostat and sensor and it seemed to be working after months of issues and tows etc. They also flushed the radiator. However, I mostly use it for short runs and for 3 weeks it seemed okay. Then I had someone in from out of town and we did quite a bit of driving and all of a sudden in traffic the temperature gauge went through the roof and we had a complete melt down, steam and smoke coming out of engine. We were towed and took in again into Chrysler. I had it into that dealership 4 times before when this happened and they did not get to the core of the problem. They still have not solved the issue. Now I kept asking them -are you sure the A/C system has nothing to do with the cooling system, as my A/C needs recharging, NO they said and yet I am reading on here it has. It seems my cooling fan is not coming on when I had this happen. At this point I am so fed up I am looking at new cars today, I have spent $4000. on this car in 2 years and I am finished, this post is a last resort to find someone who knows something about these cars, as obviously the dealer locally knows little...HELP with thanks.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating and boiling coolant

Welcome to the forum.

It seems to me that you've already mentioned the problem ...the radiator cooling fan. Why the dealer couldn't find this is a mystery. A scanner can run the fan on both speeds to see if the computer, relays and fan speeds are working. For $100 and 2 hours of your time you could probably have it fixed. Although
Old 17 Aug 2014, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating and boiling coolant

Crewzin

Thanks for your reply. Finally found what they diagnosed which they told me would cost $1300 plus. *Leak down check-steady stream of bubbles from #2 plug, plus wet, pressurize cooling system when running, runs rougher. recommend removing head and sending for leak check and check level and valve grind and valve seals.*

At this point I have put so much into it in two years I would like to sell it, the body is in great shape and I love to drive that car but cannot afford ongoing issues. Thanks so much, should have joined here much sooner and regretting not doing so.

Tags
coolant issue, overheating engine