Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
620-052 4 pin w/relays connector pin-out needed for 2007 Pt Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2014, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default 620-052 4 pin w/relays connector pin-out needed for 2007 Pt Cruiser

Wanted to check out new radiator fan before installing and putting in new coolant. Anyone have a picture of 620-052 radiator fan motor connector pin-out that shows what colors apply to ground, 12 volts, etc. Also if its okay to start the Pt Cruiser without coolant for a few seconds to see if the fan is working before putting in the HOAT coolant?
Old 17 Aug 2014, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 620-052 4 pin w/relays connector pin-out needed for 2007 Pt Cruiser

I went and got the Haynes Manual 2001 through 2010 today and in that manual it says that the 2007 PT Cruiser has an TIPM( Totally Integrated Power Module and that module controls the fan speed. It says that to check the cooling fan system to have the dealer use their diagnosis tools to check the fan.
The earlier PT Cruisers 2001 to 2005 according to the Haynes Manual you can apply voltage to the fan itself and check to see if it is working but with the 2006 and later models it doesn't say that at all. I noticed that with my original fan motor it has a separate plug going to the motor so that you can apply voltage to the motor with the connector unplugged but with the new 620-052 Dorman fan I don't have that separate plug.
Does everyone agree that I am going to have to just take my chances and put the new fan assembly in and put the coolant in it and hope I don't have to drain the new coolant back out later? Only the high speed on the fan had failed on the original fan but I know it won't be long before the low speed fails.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 04:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

are you trying to check the relay or fan itself?

need to make sure fan is grounded which im sure it is, but you jump pins 30 and 87.

30 should be constant hot and 87 is the out put side of relay that should be 12V when jumped.

Relay has 4 pins.
constant hot
ground
signal wire telling relay to close the switch
and 12V output to power item.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MNTEGRA01 Thanks for your help! :

With your comment about terminal 30 & 87 on the relay I was able to put 12 volts on the relay color wires going to the motor after unplugging it from the relay and use the ground on the black wire coming out of the radiator fan assembly connector.

I checked the original radiator fan and it seems to work also but I have been getting trouble code P0481 and P0480 so I am hoping it still is the fan or the relays that maybe an intermitted problem with 70,000 miles on the PT Cruiser.

I had decided to replace the bottom hose, the coolant, and the fan with the relays all at the same time. I was going to replace the top hose but I want to wait until I replace spark plugs and wires and the thermostat as a another repair project. I am trying to not change too many things where I can't back track.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 07:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
MNTEGRA01 Thanks for your help! :

With your comment about terminal 30 & 87 on the relay I was able to put 12 volts on the relay color wires going to the motor after unplugging it from the relay and use the ground on the black wire coming out of the radiator fan assembly connector.

I checked the original radiator fan and it seems to work also but I have been getting trouble code P0481 and P0480 so I am hoping it still is the fan or the relays that maybe an intermitted problem with 70,000 miles on the PT Cruiser.
I dont remember having a CEL on until after I unplugged connector and unhooked a relay. Crazy thing was that I had the CEL light on, and the FAN started working like it should. and AC was cooling. BUt i did have same code P0481. I have been reading on here for a bit and decided to just replace the whole thing since it seems to be a common problem.

My PT has 96,xxx miles on it.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 12:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just some extra info out there for everyone. I took apart my fan harness to use elsewhere in my own personal vehicle. And I discovered some useful info that could help everyone. Harness is off a 2006 PT. Older PTs may vary.

in this picture here, is the two relay setup for two fan speeds. I will upload later. I can't use photobucket here at work.

30 and 85 are a constant HOT wire. 86 is the ground. and 87 is the output of the relay. So In this picture you can see that the fat power wire splits off into 4 wires. So that means the only thing left is the ground (gray wire). So, the PCM controls the ground of the relay to power up the fans.

So test the relay and speeds, unhook the connector going to fan assembly (4 wires) one HOT, one Fan ground, and two PCM signal wires which are grounds for relay.

first thing to do would be to jump the relay prongs 30 and 87 and that will give power to fan. IF it doesnt turn on, problem is the fan. If it does turn on, then procede to test the relays.

You can test the PCM by hooking test light to a power wire and with AC on probe the two small wires on BODY side of connector at lower left of fan assembly. one of the smaller wires should light up tester because high speed fan is on when AC is on.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 10:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I got the new radiator fan installed and the high and low speed works fine. However I am still getting the trouble codes P0481 & P480 combined with U110C, U0141, U1411 and U110C. I don't regret replacing the radiator fan as I feel more secure knowing that it has been replaced and turns on the high speed when the temperature hits at 3:00 on the gauge. I am able to avoid getting these engine trouble codes if I keep the car going over 35 miles an hour and not drive it very long below 35 miles an hour.
I am going to the next step of double checking every single ground wire especially the two sets of ground wires going to the drivers side inside fender.
I will keep you all updated on what I find out.