Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC From Hell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2014, 11:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC From Hell

So.. I've been dealing with AC issues all summer.

It started as just not cooling very well and I got a new switch and compressor. Then it was just cooling whenever it felt the urge and not cooling whenever it felt like it (switch on or not!) so I got a new AC control module. Then it was back to not cooling very well and had a leak up near where it goes into the inside of the dash and whatever so I got a new gasket. Now it's back to not cooling and the mechanic says it is leaking inside the dash and needs a new evaporator. He said he put dye in it and the dye is leaking out the drain tube and he does not see a leak anywhere else.

To get in to the dash and replace that piece he quoted me $700. While I know that's not a bad price when compared to other places, I can't really spend another $700 after just spending $600 on the compressor.

Here's my dilemma....
Do I get in the dash myself and replace the damn piece? I don't mind getting dirty, just need some guidance.

Or do I say screw it and ride around hot in Florida summer after spending $600?

Or do I suck it up and pay the $700 that I really don't have? Which means it would probably be on credit... ugh

Does anyone have experience getting to this piece? Is it something that can be accomplished with patience or am I going to need 1000 tools I don't have? Is there a walk through somewhere?
Old 20 Aug 2014, 01:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: AC From Hell

it would be $50+ shipping for the part, and around $70 to have the AC lines vacuumed and refilled, plus a gallon of your preferred coolant to top off the radiator after you reinstall everything. figure on spending around 150 for all that.

the whole dash comes out to get to it. is it worth saving 550 to remove the dash and change it yourself? is this a job YOU think you can tackle?

-----
Using a refrigerant recovery machine, remove the refrigerant from the A/C system, if equipped. Refer to: "Heating and Air Conditioning : Service and Repair" See: Service and Repair
Remove instrument panel from vehicle. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Service Procedures, Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel Assembly
Drain cooling system. Refer to: "Engine, Cooling and Exhaust : Cooling System : Service and Repair" See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System\Service and Repair
Remove heater hoses at the dash panel. Place plugs in the heater core outlets to prevent coolant spillage during unit housing removal.
Unfasten coolant recovery container and set aside.
Remove suction line at expansion valve. Cap open refrigerant lines to prevent moisture and/or dirt from entering.
Remove expansion valve from evaporator, and cap fittings.
Remove rubber drain tube extension from condensation drain tube.

Fig. 6 HVAC Vacuum Harness

Disconnect the vacuum harness at the power brake booster.

Fig. 7 HVAC Housing Defroster Duct

Unsnap and remove the defroster duct.

Fig. 8 Dash Panel Retaining Studs

Remove three retaining nuts located in the engine compartment, on the dash panel.

Fig. 9 Housing Screws

Remove the right side retaining screw.
Remove remaining nut located on dash panel stud.
Disconnect the wiring connectors.
Remove assembly from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

WARNING: THE R-134a REFRIGERANT SYSTEM MUST BE RECOVERED BEFORE SERVICING ANY PART OF THE REFRIGERANT SYSTEM.

Position the housing in the vehicle.
Connect the wire harness connectors.
Install the nut on the dash panel stud.
Install the three retaining nuts on the engine compartment studs.
Snap the defrost duct in place.
Connect the vacuum harness at the brake booster.
Connect the rubber drain tube to the extension.
Install the expansion valve to the evaporator.
Remove the protective caps and connect the suction line to the expansion valve.
Position and install the coolant recovery container.
Install the instrument panel. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Service Procedures, Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel Assembly
Refill the cooling system. Refer to: "Engine, Cooling and Exhaust : Cooling System : Service and Repair" See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System\Service and Repair
Evacuate the refrigerant system. Refer to: "Heating and Air Conditioning : Service and Repair" See: Service and Repair
Recharge the refrigerant system.
Old 20 Aug 2014, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
the whole dash comes out to get to it. is it worth saving 550 to remove the dash and change it yourself? is this a job YOU think you can tackle?

This is the hot topic.... I would totally do the work to save the $550. I think I could do the work, but not knowing for sure and not knowing the parts well makes me wonder if it's a good idea. Living in Florida and not having the $700 makes me think it is a good idea. lol

I don't know... driving the car off a bridge might be a better option at this point.
Old 20 Aug 2014, 02:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAstronomer View Post
This is the hot topic.... I would totally do the work to save the $550. I think I could do the work, but not knowing for sure and not knowing the parts well makes me wonder if it's a good idea. Living in Florida and not having the $700 makes me think it is a good idea.
Isn't this basically the same....

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost