Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C not working after timing belt replaced

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2014, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C not working after timing belt replaced

My timing belt broke on my 2002 PT cruiser touring edition. My husband replaced it and did not disconnect the A/C line. I have been driving it for the past 2 weeks and the other day I decided to put the a/c on because it was pouring. This was the first time I turned it on since having belt fixed and it blows hot air out. It worked perfectly fine before the belt broke. My husband looked and pushed on the valve and there is no freon. We do not understand why there would be no freon if it was not touched? And what are the possible reasons for this happening?
Old 23 Aug 2014, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C not working after timing belt replaced

I have heard that when the motor gets raised up and down when you are replacing the timing belt, it can sometimes hook the A/C hose on to the radiator fan shroud and tear it if the motor is raised too high.
If that is not the problem it might be the connector on the top/back of the compressor is leaking. Let us know what you find out.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Also I heard that the A/C system needs to be evacuated and disconnected to change out the power steering pump and then recharged. The power steering pump along with a lot more must be removed to do the timing belt but I don't know what year PT Cruisers this applies to. Was the power steering pump involved?
Old 23 Aug 2014, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The power steering pump was not changed out but it was disconnected in order to replace timing belt.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 05:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Power steering pump only needs to be unbolted to do the timing belt.
If you raie the motor to much to do the belt it can stress the connection that is bolted together on the AC lines and that can cause you to loose your freon (134a) In this case guessing is not going to solve you problem. Your going to have to take it to someone knowledgable that works on AC systems to find the leak. You cannot just add a charge to it and hope it works because the Hi side and low side pressure will be out of range, you first start with a vacuum and see if it holds.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 23 Aug 2014, 07:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can inject dye into the A/C system and use an ultraviolet light to see where the leak is coming from but if you are not familiar with the procedure or comfortable working on A/C you are better off taking it to an expert that would ensure no more Freon is leaking into the atmosphere.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 08:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

He did jack the engine up pretty far so that makes sense why I would have lost freon. I guess I will have to take it to someone to look at it. Thanks for the help :-)
Old 24 Aug 2014, 09:28 am
Regular Cruiser

The A/C suction line that comes off the top of the compressor will fail at the crimp where rubber connects to metal if you even look at it too hard. I have had to replace mine twice, once all I did was replace the thermostat. It will then bleed the system down in a couple days time.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I was concerned about putting stress on the A/C hoses myself when I was moving the radiator forward to get the radiator fan out. I try not to move any other parts other than what I am working on but with these newer cars its a challenge.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 05:08 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gr8pt View Post
My timing belt broke on my 2002 PT cruiser touring edition. My husband replaced it and did not disconnect the A/C line. I have been driving it for the past 2 weeks and the other day I decided to put the a/c on because it was pouring. This was the first time I turned it on since having belt fixed and it blows hot air out. It worked perfectly fine before the belt broke. My husband looked and pushed on the valve and there is no freon. We do not understand why there would be no freon if it was not touched? And what are the possible reasons for this happening?
Just curious. Did the timing belt break while driving? Glad your engine wasn't damaged.
Also wondering how many miles might have been on that belt. I know a lot of people don't replace at 100k miles.
Hope you get the AC fixed easily.