Sparkplugs and cooling system liquid

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2014, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Sparkplugs and cooling system liquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
How was this determined? The gauge? And what constitutes running hot to you/him? Was anything done to confirm this or were there other indication of the engine running hot? i.e. hearing water boil,little to no coolant in the recovery tank,coolant leaking on the ground etc.?

In general not PT specific I always wonder when someone knowingly gets a problem and continues to drive the vehicle without checking why things happened before things get worse?
Yes, on the gauge. When I was on vacation my son told me the gauge was reading close to the red mark. He had a delivery job, with cruiser, and this was occurring till he hit tree. You and I both wonder why my son continued to drive car with this problem...young, new job, I'm away(vacation), and probably thought it would be ok....The worse part is keeping this info secret. I need a prybar to get any info from him !
Old 24 Aug 2014, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As you have already changed the thermostat I presumed checked for fan operation? Than it is time for the tests I recommended.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Aug 2014, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Does the temperature go up at low speeds or high speeds?
Ok Steve, after I fixed accident damage and noticed the temperature gauge reading hot, on test drive, I drained radiator fluid, replaced thermostat and put fresh coolant with water mix in. Filled up motor and overflow. I was driving car in my neighborhood(25-30 mph) the gauge was reading on center mark of gauge then about 6 miles of driving, it started to increasing above half mark to next mark. I parked it at home and checked to see if there was any leaks on the ground and nothing. The radiator fan works good so no problem there.

Nitro, I was able to pull three plugs out and the liquid was on all three. Not able to get other plug out yet. I'm sorry this thread may have been posted prematurely...up late, woke up early to look into car(excessive temps. in Las Vegas) and found this on plugs.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 01:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Those are NOT the original plugs, because they say Autolite, and stock plugs are Champions.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Aug 2014, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I live in Lincoln we get 100-112F days.
ALL coolant temperatures can be controlled.

I keep giving you suggestions to help diagnosis your problem...I would at least consider them?

I run a GT Turbo Charged PT which are known for running a little on the hot side. These were is a picture taken yesterday coming back from South Lake Tahoe coming into Placerville.

Disregard the MPG I did not re-set with engine off

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Aug 2014, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigbutt View Post
Ok Steve, after I fixed accident damage and noticed the temperature gauge reading hot, on test drive, I drained radiator fluid, replaced thermostat and put fresh coolant with water mix in. Filled up motor and overflow. I was driving car in my neighborhood(25-30 mph) the gauge was reading on center mark of gauge then about 6 miles of driving, it started to increasing above half mark to next mark. I parked it at home and checked to see if there was any leaks on the ground and nothing. The radiator fan works good so no problem there.

Nitro, I was able to pull three plugs out and the liquid was on all three. Not able to get other plug out yet. I'm sorry this thread may have been posted prematurely...up late, woke up early to look into car(excessive temps. in Las Vegas) and found this on plugs.

Hi
What I am trying to do is figure out what was causing the engine to overheat at the very beginning when it first started. Can you ask your son if it was overheating on low speeds or high speeds at the very beginning. We may have two issues here, one issue is causing the engine to overheat and the other one putting liquid on the spark plugs.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 02:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hi
What I am trying to do is figure out what was causing the engine to overheat at the very beginning when it first started. Can you ask your son if it was overheating on low speeds or high speeds at the very beginning. We may have two issues here, one issue is causing the engine to overheat and the other one putting liquid on the spark plugs.
LOL did you read the communication level between them?

Besides..
Reading what he has posted so far and the unidentified fluid on the spark plugs unless you are going to physically go there and help him he needs to check for a head gasket problem and/or a sealed cooling system.

LOL
LionPT likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Aug 2014, 02:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
LOL did you read the communication level between them?

Besides..
Reading what he has posted so far and the unidentified fluid on the spark plugs unless you are going to physically go there and help him he needs to check for a head gasket problem and/or a sealed cooling system.

LOL
NitroPT, I agree with your diagnosis. I am assuming that the son has put water and not coolant in the coolant system after it overheats each time and that is why its a clear liquid (I am guessing).
Old 24 Aug 2014, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
NitroPT, I agree with your diagnosis. I am assuming that the son has put water and not coolant in the coolant system after it overheats each time and that is why its a clear liquid (I am guessing).

We can see that this OP has limited mechanical skills and no diagnostic testing equipment. So sending him errands of question is not real productive. He needs to rent some tools and procedure further to help us help him.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Aug 2014, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Adding water will not keep it separated from antifreeze when it is circulated into the cooling system with the water pump.

In most cases if there was that much water than you would see excess water vapor out the tail pipe.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN