Advertisements
Sparkplugs and cooling system liquid

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2014, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Sparkplugs and cooling system liquid

Hello folks,

I apologize for posting these questions on new member section! My 2002 Cruiser has approx. 73500 miles. My son had an accident and I fixed the problems associated with this. When driving the car it would start to over-heat after a few miles. I put new thermostat in and drained coolant/water and put fresh coolant/water in motor. I drove it and the same problem would occur. The fan works and there are no leaks. This morning I wanted to check sparkplugs and replace them if needed(they need replacing!!!). I noticed a liquid on the plugs that seems to be coolant/water. Why would this occur in this section of the motor? Also I could not get my socket to grip the sparkplug on the 1st cylinder. Since these sparkplugs are deep in their wells do I need to take off valve cover to try to remove this sparkplug? I'm sure previous owner did something to create this problem and now I'm stuck dealing with it. Here is a pic of two plugs.
20140824_072116.jpg
I'm wondering if they are the original plugs... The gap on them is close to 50. Could the liquid on the plugs be due to water pump failure or something else? I'm thinking I might need to replace the water pump. Being that I'm new to PT Cruisers I will be asking some ignorant questions. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jim
Old 24 Aug 2014, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Sparkplugs and cooling system liquid

Jim,
if you only knew how many times a week a new member wants the easy answer....right away?

There is a lot of information about PT Cruisers and in general the common engine used in them.

A suggestion would be to.....

You might just sit back with a cup of coffee and use the search feature or go directly to historic threads.

If after you can't find information(not likely this to happen) and you have further question I am sure many members can suggestion a plan of action to solve any problems you might have.

But really with thousands of member over 12= years your are not asking question that were not answered last "week"!

If you are willing to work on a vehicle than at least give a little effort to find your answer by researching it first.

i.e.est.

Heating issues on this forum have been asked and answered over 3000 times!

Spark plug suggested gaps and other information over 2000 times!

General mechanical issues asked and answered over 40,000 times!

I am sure i am being conservative with the estimates?

Also a suggestion to reduce your pictures to a maximum of 800x800 so members with smaller media device like cell phone can more easily view the picture.

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Aug 2014 at 11:35 am.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are concerned about the mechanical aspect of your PT Cruiser engine than a few things are in order.

Cylinder Compression test

Cooling system pressure test

OBDII Diagnostic Scan for any stored or pending DTC (engine codes)
Old 24 Aug 2014, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What was damaged from the accident and was there any issues with overheating before the accident?
Old 24 Aug 2014, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks NitroPT...I did a search on this forum about the liquid on the sparkplugs and didn't find anything(perhaps wrong search words...dunno). Tried a couple different combos of search words and nothing pertaining to this issue. I'm sure this has been a problem for other members and asked here but I didn't have luck on search. I'm one to search first then ask questions later...so this is why I posted. I apologize if I didn't search good enough and I did your suggestion of sitting with coffee..thanks!

Thanks Jim
Old 24 Aug 2014, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
What was damaged from the accident and was there any issues with overheating before the accident?
The damage was done to the left front at the wheel(my son hit a tree). I replaced the rim/tire, strut, cv joints and axle, control arm, strut and fender/ light assembly. Once I fixed this I test drove it(everything working as should) When I noticed the temperature rising. I asked my son about this and he told me it was overheating before accident...info he kept secret till I test drove the car.

Jim
Old 24 Aug 2014, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Jim,

Also a suggestion to reduce your pictures to a maximum of 800x800 so members with smaller media device like cell phone can more easily view the picture.
Again my apologizes and will try to correct this!

Thanks!
Old 24 Aug 2014, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK. It does take time to get to know how to use forums.
PM CREWZIN about how to use the search feature.

The liquid does not look like coolant, unless you are running straight water.

Did you smell it?
Also wipe it on your hand and blow some air and see if it evaporates.

If you can not get to the spark plug as I read on the other thread how did you get the 2 in the picture out?
Old 24 Aug 2014, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigbutt View Post
T When I noticed the temperature rising. I asked my son about this and he told me it was overheating before accident...info he kept secret till I test drove the car.

Jim
How was this determined? The gauge? And what constitutes running hot to you/him? Was anything done to confirm this or were there other indication of the engine running hot? i.e. hearing water boil,little to no coolant in the recovery tank,coolant leaking on the ground etc.?

In general not PT specific I always wonder when someone knowingly gets a problem and continues to drive the vehicle without checking why things happened before things get worse?
Old 24 Aug 2014, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigbutt View Post
The damage was done to the left front at the wheel(my son hit a tree). I replaced the rim/tire, strut, cv joints and axle, control arm, strut and fender/ light assembly. Once I fixed this I test drove it(everything working as should) When I noticed the temperature rising. I asked my son about this and he told me it was overheating before accident...info he kept secret till I test drove the car.

Jim
Does the temperature go up at low speeds or high speeds?