PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with '01 NO spark/Start/throwing codes.. PLEASE!!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2014, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with '01 NO spark/Start/throwing codes.. PLEASE!!

Hi,

I have a '01 PT N/A. It blew the motor so I did a complete rebuild on it and put it back in. Now I am getting the following codes.

P 1495, P 0340, 0320, 1391

I have looked them up and three out of the four are related to crankshaft / camshaft sensors. My ASD relay also clicks like crazy when the key is on accessory. There is NO spark going to the spark plugs. There was a VERY SLIGHT crankshaft walk (front to back) when a NEW crankshaft and bearings were put in. I asked a performance engine shop and they said not to worry about it as it wasn't very bad. Maybe between 1/32 and 1/24. There was no visual sign of crank walk just a VERY slight "giving" on it, so I do not think that the codes are throwing because of the crankshaft and camshaft sensors being out of spec because of crank walk. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need this vehicle going ASAP as I am using it as a DD to go to a new Job after the holiday weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 02:08 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Help with '01 NO spark/Start/throwing codes.. PLEASE!!

I hope someone else has a better guess than me, but based off of what you said, maybe the sensors are more picky than a mechanic would be.

I might also walk around and check all the grounding again. I don't know if you used used or new parts, but spark I'd walk through the basic steps. Check all cables, etc.

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you could get it back up and running so you can get to work. That'd be beneficial.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 02:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Swapped ASD relay with known good one. No change
Old 29 Aug 2014, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They're cheap and easy to do. Swap out the sensors with genuine MOPAR ones.

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/7...320-p1391.html

As far as the P1495 ....

how do i fix code P 1495?
Old 29 Aug 2014, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The wiring harness looks a little crappy. Did some shaking around and the ADS stopped clicking (still no spark/start).. The previous owner made some kind of jumper wire that goes from the Starter relay ground to the Fan relay ground and then to an external ground. I am going to a local yard tomorrow and pulling a harness to see if this corrects some of the issues, but I still welcome any input as it has been a LONG rebuild road LOL
Old 29 Aug 2014, 05:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Check your grounds for continuity to the left fender ground. Or just jump in and cut it off at the eyelet and strip back about an inch of clean wire, get a small steel brush the looks like a too brush and comb the wires to clean them. Twist them together, use electrical solder paste and solder them together, then either open up the crimp on the eyelet and clean it inside and remove the old wires. Use flux and tin the eyelet with solder then solder the mas of grounds to the eyelet,m crimp if you can. It solved my ground problems.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 29 Aug 2014, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So far I checked all of the grounds and cleaned the ones on the left fender. I am not sure what in the hell this guy was thinking by splicing into the relays. There is also an orange colored wire that stretches across the harness above the starter that isn't going anywhere (and I am not sure where it goes). There is a female 2 slot plug near the AC adapter (inside of it is red) that isnt going anywhere (the AC one is hooked up so it is not that one), and the sensor that is on the front of the block right below the plenum does not have a plug on it (not sure what it is called... anyone know so I can put a name to it? It takes a 1" wrench to get it off and when you unscrew it then it seems like it is just a 2 prong sensor that has a threaded piece of rod that screws into the side of the block (about a 12mm threaded rod or so). I am not sure what it is. I grabbed one from the junkyard and popped it on, but there is not a plug for it. I was almost thinking that orange wire originally went to a plug for it but not sure. Anyone have a color coded wiring diagram for the harness? LOL
Old 29 Aug 2014, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsob1974 View Post
So far I checked all of the grounds and cleaned the ones on the left fender. I am not sure what in the hell this guy was thinking by splicing into the relays. There is also an orange colored wire that stretches across the harness above the starter that isn't going anywhere (and I am not sure where it goes). There is a female 2 slot plug near the AC adapter (inside of it is red) that isnt going anywhere (the AC one is hooked up so it is not that one), and the sensor that is on the front of the block right below the plenum does not have a plug on it (not sure what it is called... anyone know so I can put a name to it? It takes a 1" wrench to get it off and when you unscrew it then it seems like it is just a 2 prong sensor that has a threaded piece of rod that screws into the side of the block (about a 12mm threaded rod or so). I am not sure what it is. I grabbed one from the junkyard and popped it on, but there is not a plug for it. I was almost thinking that orange wire originally went to a plug for it but not sure. Anyone have a color coded wiring diagram for the harness? LOL
If I was you I would first get a repair manual. Then I would replace all sensors that you changed recently with new mopar sensors. After that is done I would get a wiring diagram and make sure all wires are connected and going to the right places.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 08:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Someone posted recently about replacing an engine & the mixed up the Cam Sensor plug with the Ignition Coil plug...
Busted_PT likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 Aug 2014, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Someone posted recently about replacing an engine & the mixed up the Cam Sensor plug with the Ignition Coil plug...

That was precisely the problem!!! Switched them and she fired right up, but now I have another problem. It is idling at about 2800. I checked for codes and the only one that is coming up is the "gas tank o ring one". I have checked for a vacuum line off, but it looks like all of the ones are hooked up. Any ideas?