PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'02 will not stop overheating

 
Like Tree7Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2014, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Angry '02 will not stop overheating

Let me start by saying I live in Texas.
We've replaced the entire cooling system and tested for a blown head gasket..
All tests come out negative for the head gasket.
We've replaced the water pump, timing belt, radiator, coolant flush, radiator cap, fan, fuses, hoses, thermostat, checked oil and transmision oil.

It will not overheat sitting in idle at park but after I leave it wi start to overheat and I have to run with the heater on. If its cold and I have to drive, I have about 20 minutes before it over heats. Whether if I'm sitting at a light it will overheat, if I am running on tge highway its still running hot. It cools down off and on depending on if I have thee heater blasting and how much I'm using the engine.

I have tried everything that I know, please help before I set the damn thing on fire.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2014, 08:27 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,434
Default Re: '02 will not stop overheating

When filling with coolant, are you using the air bleed screw beneath the thermostat housing to remove the remaining air?

Have you checked the fan? The fan should run all the time. It has two speeds.

How did you check for a blown head gasket? A pressure test often does not work. A chemical test is more definitive.

Also, welcome the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2014, 08:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: '02 will not stop overheating

I don't see anything about testing the radiator fan. It has two speeds and both need to be working to keep the engine cool.
LionPT likes this.
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2014, 10:53 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 430
Default Re: '02 will not stop overheating

When I replaced my fan I checked the old one. I used small jumper wires to test it. The high speed was out. The low worked great. So if I was driving at speed it would be ok. But when I stopped it would get hotter then the fan would stop running. I would say check that first. I got a replacement motor with lifetime warranty from autozone for around $80. Now it runs great. That would be my guess if bleeding the system does not fix it.
harrym likes this.
__________________


2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2014, 10:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Default Re: '02 will not stop overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
When filling with coolant, are you using the air bleed screw beneath the thermostat housing to remove the remaining air?

Have you checked the fan? The fan should run all the time. It has two speeds.

How did you check for a blown head gasket? A pressure test often does not work. A chemical test is more definitive.

Also, welcome the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!
Yes, we used the bleed screw and tested both high and low settings on the fan. The fan has been tested for both modes and it kicks like it needs to.
We checked for the blown head gasket with the sniffer test, chemical and pressure, all were good.

We cleared out the radiator and checked for leaks, we could find nothing.
We're using a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2014, 11:28 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 430
Default Re: '02 will not stop overheating

Are you usin the HOAT or the green stuff? HOAT is what is recommended. The green stuff, from what I've read on here, can damages the system.
__________________


2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30 Aug 2014, 12:42 am
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,434
Default Re: '02 will not stop overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05purplept View Post
Are you usin the HOAT or the green stuff? HOAT is what is recommended. The green stuff, from what I've read on here, can damages the system.
This is only a problem if the original orange/pink Duracool antifreeze is mixed with a few of the older green antifreezes. It causes a particulate to form that can clog up the radiator and engine water jacket. As long and the cooling system has been thoroughly flushed, any type of antifreeze can be used. And today, most name brand antifreezes are compatible no matter the color. In the particular case of the PT in this thread, a stopped up radiator (for what ever reason) might be one possible cause of the symptoms described.

Twotonpaperweight, has the cooling system been flushed and are your sure the radiator is not clogged up? Assure, the thermostat is not sticking. Sometimes, even new thermostats will stick. When I work on cars with problems like this, I often remove the thermostat, put the housing back on without it, and then flush the cooling system thoroughly. Then I just run water for coolant until I have solved the overheating problem. Plus, you can often better judge how well the water is circulated this way. With a stopped up radiator, there will be a very slow flow while a system with no thermostat will flow rapidly.

And one more thing. If you try all this and still have no joy, you might run a chemical test again. Every time the engine overheats, there is a chance that the gasket will go. Once you eliminate the easy and probable issues, you may have the revisit that. On truck engines way back in the day, I've seen a very slightly blown head gasket fool some pretty good mechanics for a long time.
__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Aug 2014 at 12:53 am.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30 Aug 2014, 11:56 am
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walking distance to the embassy
Posts: 3,104
Default Re: '02 will not stop overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
... problem if the original...antifreeze is mixed with (other) antifreezes. It causes a particulate to form that can clog up the radiator and engine water jacket....
Ahah! I am not alone in my thinking. We see many questions and reports here about overheating problems.
Some, especially the "I just bought a...overheats" posts suggest to me that there may be many older used cruisers around with engine-block hardening of the cooling system passages caused by mixed incompatible anti-freezes.

If a crud of coating in the block reduces water flow, efficiency is reduced.
If the crud has insulating properties, worse yet.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01 Sep 2014, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Default Re: '02 will not stop overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
This is only a problem if the original orange/pink Duracool antifreeze is mixed with a few of the older green antifreezes. It causes a particulate to form that can clog up the radiator and engine water jacket. As long and the cooling system has been thoroughly flushed, any type of antifreeze can be used. And today, most name brand antifreezes are compatible no matter the color. In the particular case of the PT in this thread, a stopped up radiator (for what ever reason) might be one possible cause of the symptoms described.

Twotonpaperweight, has the cooling system been flushed and are your sure the radiator is not clogged up? Assure, the thermostat is not sticking. Sometimes, even new thermostats will stick. When I work on cars with problems like this, I often remove the thermostat, put the housing back on without it, and then flush the cooling system thoroughly. Then I just run water for coolant until I have solved the overheating problem. Plus, you can often better judge how well the water is circulated this way. With a stopped up radiator, there will be a very slow flow while a system with no thermostat will flow rapidly.

And one more thing. If you try all this and still have no joy, you might run a chemical test again. Every time the engine overheats, there is a chance that the gasket will go. Once you eliminate the easy and probable issues, you may have the revisit that. On truck engines way back in the day, I've seen a very slightly blown head gasket fool some pretty good mechanics for a long time.
As far as the thermostat and flush go yes, we did exactly that a few days ago. Removed the thermostat, checked it, flushed the brand new radiator.... And after that we did do the chemical test again.
We have exhausted the possibilities for the cooling system, having replaced or tested all of it.

We have tested several times for the blown head gasket over the past 2 months, I doubt it is blown but at this point I wish it was, just so I could fix the thing.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01 Sep 2014, 01:18 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 430
Default Re: '02 will not stop overheating

just kinda shooting in the dark here. you may try running straight coolant no water to see if that helps at all. my dad had an old truck that if it had water it in at all would overheat. straight coolant ran perfect. that may be an option.
__________________


2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fan Won't Stop Running jeremysaal General PT Cruiser Discussions 1 10 Jan 2012 11:00 pm
04 PT seems to wat to die after coming to a stop barry8108 General PT Cruiser Discussions 1 17 Nov 2010 09:02 pm
Jolted to stop Jetcab Tech & Performance Forum 4 03 Nov 2004 12:55 pm
I can't stop, somebody help me!! Mike-in-Orange Exterior & Interior Styling 8 08 Mar 2004 04:38 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors