PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with replacing Lower and Upper Torque Struts

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2014, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Help with replacing Lower and Upper Torque Struts

Getting ready to remove the shroud covering the lower torque strut but noticed that it looks like some of the rubber grommets are a one shot deal. What do you do to remove them so you can use them again or how do you replace the rubber grommets? Where do I find these rubber grommets? I don't want it flopping around when I go to put it back on. Please do follow what I am doing today as I will probably need some help through out the day today.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help with replacing Lower and Upper Torque Struts

Got the grommets off by using a thick screwdriver and did it very gently so it looks like I will be able to use them again when I put the splash cover (called it shroud the first time) back in. Now there is a Pencil strut keeping the splash cover from coming off. Is it critical to keep the same distance when I put the Pencil Strut back on?
Old 30 Aug 2014, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I read the Haynes manual and the Pencil Strut is put back on after you do the Strut torque adjustment so there is no need to measure where the Pencil Strut is located when you take it off.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 03:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Anyone know where the Strut Torque adjustment plate is located on the 2007 PT Cruiser automatic? The Haynes manual shows you what it looks like but doesn't tell you where its located. I am now removing the passenger front headlight to get the upper torque strut removed unless there is an easier way.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 04:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

The adustment bracket horseshoes around th shock tower on the passanger side. hope this helps
Old 30 Aug 2014, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERT View Post
The adustment bracket horseshoes around th shock tower on the passanger side. hope this helps
Yes, it did. Thanks a lot. I didn't realize when I was looking at the Upper Torque Strut that it is bolted on top of that. I wanted to measure it to see what it is before I even started removing the strut
Old 30 Aug 2014, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does anyone know if I need to remove the grill and the bumper on my 2007 PT Cruiser automatic to remove the headlight assembly. I saw a video on youtube that shows that you do on 2000 to 2005 but what about 2006 and newer years?
Old 30 Aug 2014, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Got the headlamp assembly loose but when I went to remove the front bumper I saw that between the headlamp and the grill where the bumper connects to the passenger fender there are two strong plastic grommets that I can't get to them? Anyone have any ideas? This is on a 2007 PT Cruiser Automatic. Any ideas appreciated
Old 30 Aug 2014, 11:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When I looked closer I found out that I was wrong. What's holding the bumper to the fender is a bolt and nut between the two grommets. The bolt and nut is in such a tight space area I am having a lot of trouble trying to get to it and also I can't do it by myself. I wonder how other people get that nut off?
Old 31 Aug 2014, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Please let me know if the replacement of upper and lower torque strut procedure is correct below. I have taken information from several posts here and this is the best I could find.

Jack the car up, put it on stands. Raise the engine up to release any tension on the upper torque struts.
Replace the upper torque strut. Tighten the bolts down but don't torque it to specific torque requirements yet.
Support the transmission housing with the jack at the very front until you can see pressure has been taken off barely at the torque struts.
Removed the lower torque strut and then install the new lower torque strut if you are replacing the lower torque strut. Tighten it down.
Adjust the floor jack down a little and then back up a little on the forward edge of the transmission housing. Raise the transmission too much and you will put too much pressure on the center and transmission motor mounts.
Loosen all Upper and Lower torque strut bolts, making sure each bolt has no pressure on it, adjust floor jack as necessary, then finger tight all of them after verifying all bolts do not have pressure on them.
Jack the transmission housing up higher until you are able to get the 4.72” (119mm) alignment (on plate attached to the upper torque strut and tighten all upper and lower torque strut bolts. Be very careful you look up the specific torque requirement for each bolt as you can strip it and have more headaches.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Apr 2018 at 12:44 pm.

Tags
upper lower torque struts