Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C reads overcharged, blows hot air, compressor not engaging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2014, 03:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation A/C reads overcharged, blows hot air, compressor not engaging

Hello, newbie here, but I have been reading for about a year ever since I got my 03 non-turbo.
Here is the deal for about 1 week I have been getting a burning or coolant type type smell in the cabin and around the same time the ac temp started to get warmer, mostly at start ups and after being parked.

Doing the normal tests from all the info in the treads I got gauges and tested the system (which was just normal 2 months ago) is now reading 110psi on the low side port. Armed with the info from various post I went out to get a new switch and replaced it.

I should also mention that I tested the fan relays separately and both hi and low speeds work. Up to yesterday the compressor cycled fast once the new switch was on and the psi dropped down to 35 once clutch was on and high-speed fan would follow it. I put the old switch in to test it and that started working too.

Now today Nothing, system will not start, compressor does not engage.

What can I test or consider next?? Should I start looking for a fan or compressor?? Also does the fan speed change in response to the compressor clutch or does the clutch respond to the fan, I'm lost there.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C reads overcharged, blows hot air, compressor not engaging

Is the engine light on and if so what are the trouble codes?
Is it running low on Freon since the compressor quit working recently?
Old 30 Aug 2014, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No engine light, and the system has pressure I think. I jumped the ac relay and the gauge move from 100psi to 45 but I shut it down since the compressor didn't click on after 2 min. As soon as I pulled the wire from the relay the value on the compressor blew off Freon into the hood, a small cloud at least.
Thanks for the response.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 04:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Also the compressor was cycling rapidly up until today, now it will not come on. Also should I be able to spin the center of the compressor pulley in both directions or should it be harder to turn
Old 30 Aug 2014, 05:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You might want to check your A/C relay but maybe there are A/C Technical Experts here that can help you since it might be a wiring issue.

How to Test the AC Relay in a PT Cruiser | eHow
Old 30 Aug 2014, 06:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I used the "paper clip" trick to check the relays and switched them around all work fine. I don't have any electrical tester, sad..... but tomorrow i'm gonna lift the car and check the connection to the compressor, at least to make sure its fully on, does not look so i can see a "silver" post when looking at it but my arms are to big to reach.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Too much pressure on the high side and low pressure on the low side often means the orifice is clogged. A shop diagnostic will likely be cheaper than trying to swap out parts at this point.
Old 31 Aug 2014, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: A/C reads overcharged, blows hot air, compressor not engaging

Thanks for the replies and all input.

Today I noticed that the compressor engages with the paper clip (direct contact) connection. and with direct jump in the fan relay the system cools and the low side temp goes from 110psi down to 25 psi.

Although I can't hear much of a difference in the fan speeds when each was jumped (Paper clip).

However, with the fan jumped and the ac compressor on its original relay (no paper clip) the compressor does not engage. And with the ac jumped (direct connect) and the fan on original relay the psi on low side climbs back up to 110 fast, and i got that cloud of smoke that I have read about in various posts.

My question is does the fan speed cause the compressor to run, the fan is only a little more than a year old (May 2013)?? I can't understand the relay diagram, should have paid more attention in Physics classes

Also, please note that the fan (when on its relay) does not spin with the ac, only when engine temp goes up.

Last edited by bahamapt; 31 Aug 2014 at 10:12 pm. Reason: Correction
Old 31 Aug 2014, 10:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Did you check both relays for the fan? It sounds to me like the low speed may not be coming on.

As far as the a/c I just fixed a similar problem. I had to depressurization my system and refill with new coolant to the correct PSI. That fixed it. Now the a/c blows cold again.

When I say I fixed I meant I had it done.
I think too much pressure causes it to not kick in so it doesn't blow apart from the pressure.

2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info, and reply. Sounds like the fan only has high speed, played with both relays and no change in speed. I update as soon as i can...

Tags
ac problems, compressor problems, cooling system problems, need help