Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Upper and Lower Torque Strut procedure help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2014, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Upper and Lower Torque Strut procedure help needed

Please let me know if the replacement of upper and lower torque strut procedure is correct below. I have taken information from several posts here and this is the best I could find. Do I need to remove the upper torque strut before putting the car on jack stands? All feedback is appreciated!

Jack the car up, put it on stands.
Removed the old upper torque strut, and then install the new upper torque strut. Tighten it down lightly.
Support the transmission housing with the jack at the very front until you can see pressure has been taken off barely at the torque struts.
Removed the lower torque strut and then install the new lower torque strut. Tighten it down lightly.
Lower the motor and then install the floor jack on the forward edge of the transmission housing. Raise the transmission too much and you will put too much pressure on the center and transmission motor mounts.
Loosen all Upper and Lower torque strut bolts, making sure each bolt has no pressure on it, then finger tight all of them.
Jack the motor up higher until you are able to get the 4.72 (119mm) alignment (on plate attached to the upper torque strut and tighten all upper and lower torque strut bolts.
Torque the upper and lower torque struts to 87 foot lbs.
Old 31 Aug 2014, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Upper and Lower Torque Strut procedure help needed

I have updated the procedure removing the part about raising the motor and putting it on jack stands after replacing the upper torque strut. Feedback is much appreciated.

Removed the old upper torque strut, and then install the new upper torque strut. Tighten it down lightly.

Jack the car up, put it on stands.
Support the transmission housing with the jack at the very front until you can see pressure has been taken off barely at the torque struts.
Removed the lower torque strut and then install the new lower torque strut. Tighten it down.
Adjust the floor jack down a little and then back up a little on the forward edge of the transmission housing. Raise the transmission too much and you will put too much pressure on the center and transmission motor mounts.
Loosen all Upper and Lower torque strut bolts, making sure each bolt has no pressure on it, adjust floor jack as necessary, then finger tight all of them after verifying all bolts do not have pressure on them.
Jack the transmission housing up higher until you are able to get the 4.72 (119mm) alignment (on plate attached to the upper torque strut and tighten all upper and lower torque strut bolts.
Torque the upper and lower torque struts to 87 foot lbs.
Old 31 Aug 2014, 03:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Upper and Lower Torque Strut procedure help needed

I noticed that the Haynes manual only has 87 foot pounds for all the torque struts but I just measured the bolts and they are different sizes. On the upper torque strut its 18mm and 15 mm bolts. Should they be different torque requirements for different size heads?

Tags
lower, procedure, torque strut, upper