PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2014, 10:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Overheating

So, I took a road trip last night. About 3 hours round trip. "Grape Ape", as I named my PT, ran great. Then today I went to take another trip, would have been about the same time and distance, and I got just a few blocks and it started to overheat. I rolled down the windows, turned my heat on full blast and the temp dropped a small amount. As I continued to drive, just a couple of miles, the temp gauge started going back up. So I drove it back to get my wife's trailblazer to drive.

After getting back to town I put some water in it, yes it was distilled water. I opened the cap and it had a very low level to it. I left my wife's work and started home. I got 2 blocks it started overheating again, after about 5 hours of sitting. Again windows down, heat on. After a few minutes the temp leveled out, still a little higher than normal, but not getting hotter. I did notice when I added the water the coolant was green, go figure. It has a brand new fan. Hoses look good, no cracks that I can see. No visible leaks anywhere. I am completely stumped.

Any ideas why this happened or how I lost that much coolant without seeing any signs?

2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 07:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating

update: when i started it this morning it made a weird kind of rubbing squeak. thinking my water pump may be going out. if it was leaking but not enough to pool up, could that cause the low levels?

Old 01 Sep 2014, 07:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You should still probably see a small puddle on the right side. But there's been others with a leak somewhere and not see any coolant. If it's a small leak and dripping somewhere hot, it will evaporate before hitting the ground and of course there's always the small head gasket leak where a tiny bit of coolant gets into the combustion chamber and is burned away.

Start simple and look closely around where the radiator cap/thermostat is for any signs of dried coolant and also have a pressure test. Easy and cheap and can pin-point a small leak.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 08:10 am
Cool Cruiser

thanks Crewzin. so pretty much any shop can do the pressure test, correct?

Old 01 Sep 2014, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

At 130K, I assume you had timing belt & water pump done. Did you replace thermostat?
Squeak could be coolant on a belt...
As Crewzin said, schedule a pressure test - they can also put a dye in collant that shows up under ultraviolet light to spot a leak.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Sep 2014, 08:30 am
Cool Cruiser

i actually just bought the car in april. so i couldn't say about the timing belt. i started to think about the water pump when it started making that funny squeak thing this morning. my luck is that they both need to be done. i've only changed the fan motor and the crankshaft position sensor. everything else is the way i bought it.

Last edited by GrapeApe; 01 Sep 2014 at 08:32 am.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Both the timing belt and water pump need to be done at the same time because they are both in an area that's hard to get to and takes hours of labor to do the job. You don't want to change one and afterwards have to do the job over again because the other part needs changing.

Unfortunately, because it is a labor intensive job, it's not cheap. Usually around $1000 with parts and labor.

Stay with the easy things first and have the pressure check done to try and find the leak.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 09:06 am
Cool Cruiser

so i've dealt with this before on a different car, is the 2.4 an interference motor or non interference?

Old 01 Sep 2014, 09:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05purplept View Post
so i've dealt with this before on a different car, is the 2.4 an interference motor or non interference?
Non interference. They are sometimes listed as interference motors because valve-to-valve interference is possible, although rare. It's not possible for the valves to hit the pistons if the timing belt breaks.
CREWZIN likes this.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 09:12 am
Cool Cruiser

OH THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! that last car of mine was a nightmare when it jumped time. thanks.