Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2014, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Overheating issue

I recently bought a 2002 PT Cruiser, base model, 198k miles with some front end damage (bought it like this, $1000.00, see pics in my profile here on this site) basically bending the Radiator, Trans Cooler and the AC Condenser, I'm having an overheating issue again, I have since replaced:
1. Radiator
2. Trans Cooler
3. Cooling Fan
4. Alternator Belt (also had an issue with starting)
5. Battery
6. Power Steering and AC belt
7. Both Rotors and Pads (Not related to overheating issue)
I couldn't figure out where the coolant was going because it overheats regularly, depending on use, and if I fill it and rebleed it, it will run great for a few days of driving to work and back.

I drove to Menards the other day and got down and looked underneath after I got done inside, and saw some coolant on the ground, not a whole lot though. Right there in the middle of the motor towards the pass side of the car, read somewhere the pump is in this area.

I am going to be changing the water pump and I heard it was best to also change the timing belt. What else should I change or take a hard look at while I am this far into this job? I have read a lot of the stickys here and other places and I am pretty comfortable with doing it. Are there any pics of this job somewhere?

On what I think is the same issue, my power steering pump loses a lot of fluid when it overheats, is it possible for the ps fluid to evaporate when its too hot, I can't find any leaks here? It doesn't give me any issue until I have an overheating issue.

On another note, I am also having an issue with my suspension I think. While driving down the road I can here a noise that sounds like an intermittent scraping somewhere on the pass side I think. I have looked at the back side of the tire and its not rubbing or being gouged in any way, but something is rubbing.
I hope all the info is here.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating issue

If you saw coolant on the ground, it means that there's now air in the coolant system that replaced that coolant. Any air in the system lowers the boiling point of the coolant and that could/probably is why your overheating. Find that leak and maybe cure that problem.

In out HOW TO thread in the Tech & Performance section there's at least 5 postings on the timing belt change. Some with pictures that take you through the whole process. Good idea to change the timing belt tensioner along with the belt and water pump.

HOW TO's

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The timing belt tensioner, thats what I thought, what about the hoses you think, I have no idea if the have ever been changed, 198k miles, maybe a good idea, at least the one that hooks to the water pump.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 12:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Because of the overheating you need to examine the overflow tubing from the rad fill tube to the over flow tank. Check for holes- cracks

Recheck to make sure the (combination low -high motor)low speed fan comes on to cool the radiator
Then turn the AC on Full and the high speed fan to cool the AC condensor should be running with the AC compressor.

A bad radiator cap or and thermostat can cause over heating too.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 01 Sep 2014, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...and, if you have no idea of when everything was changed, it might be a good idea to start from scratch and change both the upper and lower radiator hoses plus the serpentine and alternator belt. That way you'll know when everything was changed and go from there. The belts have to come off anyway to get to the timing belt/water pump.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Because of the overheating you need to examine the overflow tubing from the rad fill tube to the over flow tank. Check for holes- cracks
I have checked what I could of that hose, don't look bad for what I can see, but the overflow tank doesn't seem to move up or down, no change at all.

Recheck to make sure the (combination low -high motor)low speed fan comes on to cool the radiator.
What tool do I use to check this with?

Then turn the AC on Full and the high speed fan to cool the AC condensor should be running with the AC compressor.
I can't turn on the AC, the plug for the AC pump is broke on the pump side of the connector, bummer, but I can try to play with the plug, wiggle it a little might give me enough connection to run the fan.

A bad radiator cap or and thermostat can cause over heating too.
I am aware of this, but considering where the coolant drip is, I know the water pump or hose connected to it is leaking. It takes a couple of days of driving before it starts to overheat. And I always bleed the coolant system, but I can't loosen the bleed screw so I do it through the cap.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
...and, if you have no idea of when everything was changed, it might be a good idea to start from scratch and change both the upper and lower radiator hoses plus the serpentine and alternator belt. That way you'll know when everything was changed and go from there. The belts have to come off anyway to get to the timing belt/water pump.
I have already changed the other 2 belts, see original post, the upper hose I can get to from the front, but isn't the lower running to the pump or the block somewhere?
Old 01 Sep 2014, 01:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sure, the lower hose (2) is running to the block but if it's never been changed (or you don't know how old it is) then better safe then sorry.

Old 01 Sep 2014, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I agree Crewzin, but when purchasing the timing belt tensioner, do i need the bracket or just the round piece like this one: http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...2-97aef35a9871

Or this: http://www.mypartsgarage.com/goodyea...QCkaArbm8P8HAQ

Last edited by Clayman1000x; 01 Sep 2014 at 01:30 pm. Reason: make readable
Old 01 Sep 2014, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most of us went with RockAuto Parts Catalog to purchase the timing belt KIT which came with everything you need at a good price including the tensioner with the bracket. In 2003-4, Chrysler updated the type of tensioner that was used to a new design.