PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2014, 05:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Timing belt

This is a question for those who have done this. How hard is it to change the timing belt yourself? I think my water pump is going out so I figure change the belt while I'm in there to make sure it's good. Also, about how long does it take? I've got limited time and more limited space.

Also I can get a timing belt kit, belt, tensioner pulley with bracket and the other pulley, all in one. I can get the water pump separately, as well as the Haynes manual. All for about $240 is that a fair price?

2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.

Last edited by GrapeApe; 01 Sep 2014 at 05:11 pm.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt

You can buy the whole KIT for around $100 give or take. Try RockAuto Parts Catalog and fill in the blanks for your particular PT and if it comes up with a search, type in "timing belt kit".

As far as doing it yourself, I've never done it but have seen owners come to the forum after trying it and even people who have had professionals do it and many got it wrong, mostly with getting it timed correctly. On the other hand, some have done it who have never tried it before and got it right. Proper tools, reading over the HOW TO's that we have posted and some knowledge/mechanical skills will help.

Best to read over the 5 or so posts in the HOW TO section so see how others did it might help you make up your mind.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Sep 2014, 05:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks crewzin. You're a good person. Seems like you're always there with an answer that will help.
harrym and Clayman1000x like this.

Old 01 Sep 2014, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

Here is a couple to get you started.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Sep 2014, 05:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks. This looks to be a pain in the rump. I am very handy in this department. I di the timing belt on my 91 eclipse, but that had more room to work. I appreciate the answers. I'll post updates as I go along if I decide to do this myself. You guys are great. Thanks again.

Old 01 Sep 2014, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05purplept View Post
Thanks. This looks to be a pain in the rump. I am very handy in this department. I di the timing belt on my 91 eclipse, but that had more room to work. I appreciate the answers. I'll post updates as I go along if I decide to do this myself. You guys are great. Thanks again.
If you do it, take plenty of pics to give you refrence going back. I suggest to take a pic of the final alighnment of the belt. To refer bact to Questions arise. Helps rule out things that have been covered up and can no longer easelly seen.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Sep 2014, 07:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks. Will do. If it's no too much, I may take it to get done.

Old 01 Sep 2014, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've done a few of them (two 2001s and a 2006), and it can be a pretty tough job. I agree, you should read the forums to see what other folks went through. But you're on the right track. If you're going in there, make sure you change the water pump, the timing belt, and the tensioner. You'll see that it's not a job you'll want to do again any time soon. Really, some of the hardest stuff has to do with the motor mounts, power steering pump mounts, etc. It's a huge puzzle. The actual timing belt job isn't bad once you're in there. Then, you gotta put it all back...
Old 01 Sep 2014, 07:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

depending on your finances, and the availiblity of another car to drive while your doing the timing belt, its a tight operation.
As far as timing if you take the covers off and roll the engine over to line up the crank timing mark then using a white paint stick mark the belt and cam where they touch (on Top) and the crank and belt where it touches.
Use this as a double check to make sure the allignment is correct. I found that I had to roll the front cam clockwise just a little while putting the belt on the tension idler to keep the belt tight between the two cams and it gave me just enough room (slack) to slip the belt on the idler.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 01 Sep 2014, 08:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Okay. Thanks. I'll be sure to look at that. My eclipse that I did was a dohc and a major PITA. It kept slipping one tooth off. Would run and idle but we're rougher than hell. It had to be done the same way.