Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Auto/shift interchange

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2014, 06:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Auto/shift interchange

Hi everyone, I have a 2001 Pt. My question is I found a wrecked one same year as mine it has the auto/shift in it can this be interchanged with my regular shifter and if so what all do I have to change? Everything is intact in the wrecked car.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 06:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Auto/shift interchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptawesome View Post
Hi everyone, I have a 2001 Pt. My question is I found a wrecked one same year as mine it has the auto/shift in it can this be interchanged with my regular shifter and if so what all do I have to change? Everything is intact in the wrecked car.
If your talkimg auto stick, didn't come out till 03. Or are you talking somthing else?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Sep 2014, 07:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

No that's what I'm talking about. Can it be interchanged in my 2001? Sorry yes the wrecked one is an 03 mine is a 01 can I switch them and what do I need to change?

Last edited by Ptawesome; 05 Sep 2014 at 07:20 am.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptawesome View Post
No that's what I'm talking about. Can it be interchanged in my 2001? Sorry yes the wrecked one is an 03 mine is a 01 can I switch them and what do I need to change?
Check in ROCKETMAN8060's project thread he did it to his turbo light. Not sure you have the same base terans or not. But the trans pac is involved I think. Not sure about the pcm.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Sep 2014, 08:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, this can likely be done.

I read up on this a while back. The Autostick option is basically all electronic. So your will likely need most if not all of the transmission electronics to make it work. You will also likely need the speedometer/gauge cluster out of the GT too. I believe it would be fairly plug and play on a 2003 or newer 1st Gen PT. But on a 2001, I am not sure. It could get very complicated getting the the later 2003 TCM to talk with the 2001 early-model PCM. But I'm not sure.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 09:27 am
Senior Cruiser

I'm not sure if it's do-able on an '01. I vaguely recall that the '01 has separate transmission TCM and engine PCM (controllers) while in the following years they were integrated together into the single PCM control. Automatic trans are a complete mystery to me so I'm commenting way past my education and intelligence, though. My hunch is there will be something missing from the wiring harness in an '01 that at the very least you would need to adapt.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 11:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you everyone who replied. I think I'm just going to skip that idea. Sounds like it could screw things up and since it's my only vehicle I'll just keep what I have. Thanks again.