2001 PT Cruiser limited power steering fluid boiling

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By domsob1974

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2014, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser limited power steering fluid boiling

Hi

I did a rebuild on my pt. I got most of the gremlins out but the power steering fluid seems to be boiling and coming out from under the cap and dripping on to the exhaust manifold. what causes this and how do I fix it.

thank you in advance
Old 05 Sep 2014, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser limited power steering fluid boiling

In most cases, the fluid is not "boiling". Instead, the power steering system may be sucking air. And then the air displaces the fluid. In this situation, it blows out fluid most when you turn the wheels far to one direction and then the other. Check for a loose or cracked line.
Old 05 Sep 2014, 04:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Fix it soon or that will be the least of your troubles when the fluid catches fire
Old 07 Sep 2014, 05:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Looked at all of the lines and I didn't see any of them cracked, or too close to the exhaust manifold. I guess Chrysler was serious when they put the FILL MAX COLD and FILL MAX HOT markers on the Power Steering reservoir. It was overfilled. Drained some out and it seemed to have fixed my problem
Old 07 Sep 2014, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsob1974 View Post
Looked at all of the lines and I didn't see any of them cracked, or too close to the exhaust manifold. I guess Chrysler was serious when they put the FILL MAX COLD and FILL MAX HOT markers on the Power Steering reservoir. It was overfilled. Drained some out and it seemed to have fixed my problem
That's true of the overflow bottle also - add coolant over the max line and it will pee it out when it heats up.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles