Advertisements
Serpentine belt chirping

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2014, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Serpentine belt chirping

First I like to thank you for your time. I've spent about half an hour reading thought page after page and I feel I should just ask.

2009 PT Cruiser. Changed the belt with a Dayco polyrib 5040550 (4PK1395) as its an exact fit (and the tensioner pulley) After 20 miles it started chirping but only at above 2500 RPMs. Since its easy to change that belt, I put the old one back on just to see and there is no chirping at all at any RPM. Put new belt back on and chirping is back, then put old belt on and chirping gone. The old belt has 109k miles on it and has no damage, no cracks at all, no shinny spots, no damaged sides at all so I'm ok with it being on for the time being. However, I noticed that during the repeated changes, the new Dayco belt felt as if it went on with just a bit less effort than the old belt. I was barely noticeable but was enough for me to just notice a very slight difference in the effort it took to put on and off. The auto parts store says that's the exact fit belt for the car, anyone have any thoughts about this?
Old 08 Sep 2014, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Serpentine belt chirping

I would check the tensioner.

Could also be pulley alignment issue.

This is something I found that is a possibility even though I know its for an older PT Cruiser:

PT Cruiser… Chrysler advises that 2003–2004 PT Cruisers equipped with the 2.4L engine may encounter a belt squeal or chirping sound. The noise condition is caused by the power steering pump pulley being pressed too far onto the pump shaft. If the pulley is more than 0.016 inch from the end of the pump shaft, the noise condition can exist. Chrysler recommends that the pulley end be flush with the pump shaft. To attach the puller to the pulley it will be necessary to remove the right front tire and wheel assembly, the splash shield forward of the suspension, and the right headlight assembly. This will allow the puller to be attached through the headlight opening.
boonie2 likes this.
Old 08 Sep 2014, 10:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'd try a different new belt. If it doesnt work you can always return it.
Old 09 Sep 2014, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, I'm back. I got a different brand belt (gatorback) and the car is running as quiet as the day I bought it. The Dayco belt to me seems as it may be ever so slightly larger than it should be. Its the right part number. Maybe I got a bad one. I won't be buying Dayco again for sure.

Thank you all for your other suggestions. I'm having the timing belt changed this week. I'll ask the mechanic to check all the pulleys alignments to make sure.