Advertisements
trying to get error code

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2014, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy trying to get error code

I have attempted many times to get the error code to appear on my display. I have followed Skylight's instructions for retrieving error codes.

2005 PT Cruiser

the engine light is on and the car stuttered once then lost its thrust I dared not push over 25 and luckily made it back home that was only a few blocks away.

Any suggestions something I am not aware of? like clicking my heels together three times or rubbing the dashboard and make a wish?

or could it be something more sinister... and the car dislikes me?

I am at my wits end, and when I walk into a car repair place I can hear the mechanic calling on the phone making vacation plans as my bank account goes into the red.

thank you for any decent advice help that can be offered.

,,,=^..^=,,,
Old 09 Sep 2014, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: trying to get error code

As an Auto Diagnostic Technician I have been posting for a couple years now that the Key access method for viewing DTCs does not always work and is not reliable.

You really should get the OBDII diagnostic port scanned with a proper Diagnostic Scanning Tool to retrieve the DTCs.

May I also suggest that you start over as a new member and take a little time to do an introduction? Perhaps fill out your profile? You may get more help for members?

PT problems read this FIRST
PT problems read this FIRST
Old 09 Sep 2014, 06:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, you can try to make sure the actual mileage is showing on the display before you do the "key dance". Sometimes the codes don't display when the trip odometer is showing.

If it still doesn't work, as Nitro suggested, buy yourself a code reader to find out what is up before getting taken to the cleaners at your local garage or at the stealership.
Old 09 Sep 2014, 06:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynx4u View Post
I have attempted many times to get the error code to appear on my display. I have followed Skylight's instructions for retrieving error codes.

To do the key dance, turn everything in the car off, no stereo, wipers, lights, etc., just to keep the system load down. Turn your key to the accessory position, that is two clicks prior to the start. So, you have Off, Acc, On, and Start (which is the spring-loaded position). Turn to Acc, wait a few seconds, then On, Acc, On, Acc, and On... leave it in the On position (NOT THE MOTOR START POSITION!), you should see a series of dashes ------ at your Odometer, while the PT runs the internal diagnostics testing. Takes maybe 10 to 15 seconds or so and then it will return the DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Sep 2014, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If Lion's instructions don't work for you, drive to an AdvanceAuto or other parts store - they'll plug in a reader and read codes for free...
NitroPT likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Sep 2014, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There might be a good chance the cam sensor quit working and when the cam sensor quits working the PT Cruisers goes into a limp mode but first thing that needs to be done is to determine if its electrical or fuel related problem. Engine trouble codes can help determine the problem.