Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New member - oil leak issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2014, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New member - oil leak issue

2003 Base PT Cruiser with about 128K miles on it. The oil breather hose appears to have split and may be leaking oil in to the engine area. Would this be possible? Noticed the smoke and smell of oil yesterday. Popped the hood and the hose was off at the engine mount side. Forced it back on to drive home and did not see or smell smoke. Came to work this morning and could smell the oil smoke. When I turned of the car, there was a lot of smoke when I opened the hood. Hose was detached again from the engine side. Looks like there may be some oil on the top of the engine near the power steering reservoir...

Would this be OK to drive to the repair shop? About 10 minutes away or so if I can get the hose back on?

Any and all response would be helpful! Thank you!!
Old 11 Sep 2014, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New member - oil leak issue

well id check to make sure you are not really low on oil but it thats ok id drive it a little oil makes a lot of smoke
Old 11 Sep 2014, 03:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
well id check to make sure you are not really low on oil but it thats ok id drive it a little oil makes a lot of smoke
Thank you for the reply. Will definitely check the oil level before attempting. Would that oil breather hose be responsible for the leaking oil do you think or am I needing to look further?
Old 11 Sep 2014, 03:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringsPT View Post
2003 Base PT Cruiser with about 128K miles on it. The oil breather hose appears to have split and may be leaking oil in to the engine area. Would this be possible? Noticed the smoke and smell of oil yesterday. Popped the hood and the hose was off at the engine mount side. Forced it back on to drive home and did not see or smell smoke. Came to work this morning and could smell the oil smoke. When I turned of the car, there was a lot of smoke when I opened the hood. Hose was detached again from the engine side. Looks like there may be some oil on the top of the engine near the power steering reservoir...

Would this be OK to drive to the repair shop? About 10 minutes away or so if I can get the hose back on?

are you sure it isn't power steering fluid leaking out of the reservoir? just asking because MINE leaked onto the top of the valve cover due to a leaky power steering fluid cap. i though it was oil for the longest time... the P/S fluid is yellowishly clear and looks like oil.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 03:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
are you sure it isn't power steering fluid leaking out of the reservoir? just asking because MINE leaked onto the top of the valve cover due to a leaky power steering fluid cap. i though it was oil for the longest time... the P/S fluid is yellowishly clear and looks like oil.
OK, will check that as well. Would it smoke as bad as oil?
Old 11 Sep 2014, 04:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OH YES its a NASTY smell too
Old 11 Sep 2014, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Look along the edge of the valve cover for leaks, too.
If oil level is okay, (above the low mark) car is fine to drive.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Sep 2014, 10:07 am
Regular Cruiser

You're supposed to use ATF+4 for the power steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
Old 13 Sep 2014, 10:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Are you sure it's the crankcase vent hoses? The breather hoses are near the air filter housing on the driver side of the engine. Definitely check the fluid levels and take it to a shop.
Quote:

Old 29 Sep 2014, 09:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

Following up to my original post. Valve cover gasket needed to be replaced. Paid a hefty sum to have repaired and on the way to work this morning, noticed the oil smell as well as some smoke again when I turned off the engine. Opened the hood and did not notice any new oil on top of the motor so I am just wondering if this is burning off what was already on the engine? Would it be best to take it back to the repair shop and have them take another look?