PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rebuilt PCM for 2004 Turbo

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2014, 01:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rebuilt PCM for 2004 Turbo

My 2004 Turbo with 41,000 miles gave out and was throwing code after code so after changing the two oxygen sensors and getting a rebuilt PCM got another code showing the PCM was at fault, so car computer exchange took back the rebuilt to test and reprogram then send back. Just finished installing and although not on road yet, has been idling half an hour and no Check Engine light came on...but the ABS and Brake warning light will not go out, now what to do?
Old 15 Sep 2014, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rebuilt PCM for 2004 Turbo

Made it to front of house then car quit running, now getting code P0508 and P0038. Looks like this is going to be never ending.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 07:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So how was it decided the the pcm was the problem? Looking like your back at the begining. What was the original codes?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Sep 2014, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Starting 12 Sept my thread "At loss with PCM"...I stated original fault codes as P0032 and P0038 and P0300
Changed two oxygen sensors then got code P0562, P0300/P0201/02/03/04, P0508 and P0038
Rebuilt PCM installed and got fault code P1604. That PCM was returned and second replacement PCM, today has fault codes P0508 and P0038
The way I see it everything leads to faulty PCM...but the way things are going, I don't know Jack!
Old 15 Sep 2014, 11:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are the two oxygen sensors you replaced Mopar brand from the dealer?
Old 16 Sep 2014, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No, I purchased Bosch Premium Sensors from O'Reilly Auto Parts....not that I really needed to replace the ones I had. The way this car spits out codes I could replace everything and still not get it right.
A friend keeps telling me to change the ignition module. If I even have one where would it be?

Last edited by mycar; 16 Sep 2014 at 12:22 pm. Reason: added text
Old 16 Sep 2014, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well you did have a low voltage code in the mix. Which can cause strange stuff. Random miss with injector codes. I would carefully check the wiring around the top part of the motor for any sight of damage like animals chewing on it or just anything that looks heavily worn. With your mileage everything should look Like new.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Sep 2014, 06:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rebuilt PCM for 2004 Turbo...FIXED

After installing (2nd) rebuilt PCM and car still throwing out codes used my code reader to erase codes then thought before check engine light came back on would give it one shot and try and get it to pass CA SMOG before light came back on. At test station was told something was not set and asked if I had changed any parts lately. Told him my whole story and he said to drive car at a steady 50 mph for ten minutes then come back. Have you ever tried to drive at 50 on freeway when cars are passing you at 75/80 mph, giving finger and honking ( I even had my emergency flashers on). Did that and came back and with diagnostic tool said the oxygen sensors were now set and could proceed with test...it PASSED! Is this a secret or am I the only one who didn't know to do this?
The Brake and ABS warning lights are still lit.

Last edited by mycar; 16 Sep 2014 at 06:52 pm. Reason: To add part at end
Old 16 Sep 2014, 07:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Rebuilt PCM for 2004 Turbo...FIXED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycar View Post
After installing (2nd) rebuilt PCM and car still throwing out codes used my code reader to erase codes then thought before check engine light came back on would give it one shot and try and get it to pass CA SMOG before light came back on. At test station was told something was not set and asked if I had changed any parts lately. Told him my whole story and he said to drive car at a steady 50 mph for ten minutes then come back. Have you ever tried to drive at 50 on freeway when cars are passing you at 75/80 mph, giving finger and honking ( I even had my emergency flashers on). Did that and came back and with diagnostic tool said the oxygen sensors were now set and could proceed with test...it PASSED! Is this a secret or am I the only one who didn't know to do this?
The Brake and ABS warning lights are still lit.
Not everyone has to deal with emission test, In Pennsylvania, it depends on what Zip code you are in and how close to large metro area.
And yes after the power has been removed from PCM it needs to be driven about 50 miles to reset the PCM for the emission test to work with no CEL.
Under 5000 miles a year and you can get a waiver.
If the CEL is on you need to spend a min $$ to get the light to go out then they will give you another year.

Welcome To PA
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 16 Sep 2014, 07:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have ABS on your 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo?