Advertisements
Installing head

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2014, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Installing head

Hello folks,

I posted a few questions about a month ago on overheating and other issues. Well I found the problem to be a warped head. I took head to get rebuilt but the warpage was too much. I found company on the internet that had rebuilt heads. So my rebuilt head arrived last night. This is the first time doing a head job on a Chrysler for me. So I may ask a few or many questions on this and other aspects to getting the car driving again( if it takes me much time on doing this right, the first time, I will be patient and not hurry(make mistakes)! I have examined the both heads and found one thing different. I will call this piece a half moon(shape). This piece appears to have put put on old head with silicone. Will it be necessary to put this piece on new head? Do I need to put on with a high temp silicone? Yes, these are very ignorant questions...butt I would rather ask and do this correctly! I have three pics, old head, new head, and half moon piece.
Thanks Jim
20140917_073534_resized_2.jpg

20140917_073539_resized_2.jpg

20140917_073554_resized_2.jpg
Old 17 Sep 2014, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Installing head

well im as simple as it getts but ill tell you there are no dumb questions only unasked ones im sure some one with way more knowledge will chine in maybe nitro or uptown
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes you need to clean it very well and use a silicone made for motor oil to seal it. Don't over do it. A nice bead in the grove and make sure it's flat across the top with the head. You will need to seal some other areas on this install. Do you have a manual to go by?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Sep 2014, 11:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Yes you need to clean it very well and use a silicone made for motor oil to seal it. Don't over do it. A nice bead in the grove and make sure it's flat across the top with the head. You will need to seal some other areas on this install. Do you have a manual to go by?
Thanks Busted_PT! Yes, I have Chilton manual. Limited info...reverse steps from taking apart. This half moon piece didn't come with rebuilt head. I was thinking I needed it butt I wanted to be sure! I will buy silicone for motor oil...Thanks again!
Old 17 Sep 2014, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The manual should give you areas that should have some sealant applied. as well as torque specks.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Sep 2014, 01:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What busted_pt said about the sealer. I prefer Permatex Blue because its property swells in the presents of oil fortifying the sealing of 2 parts..

I have a question for you, I dislike the term "warped" as it really does not apply in the normal sense to a 2.4 head but rather allowable clearance. What was you was told to you was not that shops personal preference of allowable surfacing? I.e. .010, .015, 040 etc?

They would have worded to you like, example: "The head would have to be surfaced cut .035 to correct for flatness".

Permatex Blue and black information.

OEM specified. Designed specially for high-torque and high vibration applications, like those common in import engines, this premium RTV gasket maker exceeds manufacturers’ performance requirements. Sensorsafe, low odor, and noncorrosive. Maximum vibration resistance, with outstanding resistance to oils, cooling and shop fluids. Guaranteed not to leak. Temperature range -65?F to 500?F (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent. - See more at: Gasket Makers : Permatex® Ultra Blue® Multipurpose RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

OEM specified. For dealership warranty requirements, Ultra Black® ensures extended drivetrain warranty compliance. Fast-curing formula. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets. Retains high flexibility, oil resistant properties through use of a patented adhesion system. Temperature range -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration. - See more at: Gasket Makers : Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Sep 2014, 05:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Nitro & Busted,

Nitro, the head shop I took head to said the head had needed .019 surface cut to be flat. This would present a problem with valves hitting pistons. They said I would need a shim to correct this problem.

I purchased the Permatex ultra black silicone for the halfmoon. I cleaned it with MEK and toothbrush. Then applied the Permatex evenly and thoroughly. Yesterday, I was very busy and had no time to work on car. Will be on it tomorrow.

I understand this will be a challenge! I will be taking all necessary time to do this correctly. Again thanks! This forum has provided me some very valuable information!
Old 19 Sep 2014, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigbutt View Post
Thanks Nitro & Busted,

Nitro, the head shop I took head to said the head had needed .019 surface cut to be flat. This would present a problem with valves hitting pistons. They said I would need a shim to correct this problem.
Just for other reading this. At .019 surfacing your head was not warped.

.019 is shy .050mm. The NS PT Performance camshafts gross lift is greater than that and comes no where close to places the valves close to the pistons.

Well it is a good thing you did not get your head done there. They have no clue what they are talking about.

Do you notice one of your piston at TDC?

@.030 cut on a head you raise the compression 1/2 point. So in some cases you may need a shim to correct for compression.

Most engine machine shops will surface a bad 2.4 head up to .20 and call it good.

Thumper Performance

This information is not to impugn any of the work that abigbutt is doing.

Reference to measurement. .019 = 5 pieces of average 20lb Walmart white printer paper.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Sep 2014, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a warped head in my possession. Warped bad enough to cause cam rock. Learned about that on here. Can't recall for sure but I would say .035 at least. Ya he only can go by the pros answers. Maybe did him a favor. He'll know a ton by the time he's finished.
UptownSport likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Sep 2014, 08:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yes, you could mill it to the moon and valves wouldn't hit.

The head you got was sandblasted- Is the half moon full off sand????
It sure looks that way in the pic.