PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How do I service my Cruiser to get more than 15 mpg?!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KA9VQF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2014, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up How do I service my Cruiser to get more than 15 mpg?!

Everyone tells me I should be getting more, but what do I need to have checked or serviced and how much will it cost me? I'm on a fixed income and don't think I can afford it. But any input would be much appreciated!!
Old 17 Sep 2014, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How do I service my Cruiser to get more than 15 mpg?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrohr30 View Post
Everyone tells me I should be getting more, but what do I need to have checked or serviced and how much will it cost me? I'm on a fixed income and don't think I can afford it. But any input would be much appreciated!!
Plugs and wires. Air filter. Map sensor if that doesn't help. If the tires are rated at 44 psi max. Air them to 36-7 lbs. This will help with tire ware and mpg. JMHO

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Sep 2014, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: How do I service my Cruiser to get more than 15 mpg?!

"Service"...?????
Well you may need some "service" that you can't do.
But....
15 mpg city is not all that bad.
Otherwise, check out all the historical "bad mileage" threads.
That should keep you busy for a couple of days!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 17 Sep 2014, 10:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Man, another cryptic post.

What year is your cruiser?

And which model and engine?

How old are the tires and are they the correct size for your vehicle? I've seen folks put 14 tires and wheels where 16 were originally and then wonder why their mpg dropped so much.

Has it always gotten such poor mpg or is this a new thing.

Are you a 'rocky racer' who must mash the peddle to the floor at every stoplight and stop sign?

Are you carrying lots of heavy stuff in your buggy?

Is it uphill both ways to anywhere you want to go?

What octane fuel do you buy. For a while when the E85 fuel became available locally my daughter was buying it because it was like 20 cents a gallon cheaper. It does not get the mpg you get from the normal 10% gas so it really isn't a bargain.

There are a lot of things that can contribute to poor gas mileage. A new set of plugs properly gaped can make a world of difference. Making sure all the plumbing to your throttle body is tight with no leaks will also help a lot.

You can check this with a can of starting fluid. Start your car and spray a little at junctions of the plumbing. If the engine revs a bit you got a leak. Usually you can tighten it up with a screw driver but if you don't have a worm gear clamp there are other ways to do it like using electrical tape {if you can get it around the joint.} I have disassembled some and put the tape inside the joint then reassembled it and clamped it down and it no longer leaks.

Running the right weight oil can make a huge difference.

Modern cars are built with quite specific parameters. A lot of folks like to remove catalytic converters and replace stock mufflers with high flow units. Many times folks will remove the stock muffler just to change to a more beefier exhaust sound, Without other modifications {like a turbo or supercharger} this can and will hurt your gas mileage.

And most likely alienate you to your neighbors and the local law enforcement community.

There is nothing you can really do about timing on these new cars. It is controlled by the computers. You can pay for a different tune and sometimes that will help but making sure all your oxygen sensors, MAF {mass air flow sensor}, and the throttle body are all working correctly will most likely help the most.

Worn tires will rob you of a lot of mpg even if they are properly inflated. As tires get old they usually become soft. The softer they are the more rolling resistance you get. The higher the rolling resistance the less mpg.

Sometimes the simplest things like actually using your cruise control will help a lot. It took years for me to convince my wife it was OK to use the cruise. When she was driving to work every day for years she would always use more gas in a week than I did and I was driving nearly twice as far. I had an '83 Camaro and she was driving the much newer '92 Pontiac Grand Am. The Grand Am was rated at more mpg than the Camaro even when it was new. Once she started to use the cruise she was using less gas than ever before. Still more than me but it was much better.
rockandroller likes this.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrohr30 View Post
Do you do any highway driving at all when you are getting only 15 miles per gallon?
Old 18 Sep 2014, 08:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Is there a check engine light?
Old 18 Sep 2014, 08:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9VQF View Post

....who must mash the peddle to the floor at every stoplight and stop sign?
ME. I get 21mpg.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 08:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Plugs and wires. Air filter. Map sensor if that doesn't help. If the tires are rated at 44 psi max. Air them to 36-7 lbs. This will help with tire ware and mpg. JMHO
THIS.
And tire pressure is something you need to check often.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles