PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
DECARBONIZING ENGINE WITH WATER

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2014, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question DECARBONIZING ENGINE WITH WATER

Iíve been reading a lot on decarbonizing our engines with water. I donít dispute its potential benefits. I want to decarbonize with water as preventative maintenance, but I want to be sure I do it right maximizing its benefits while minimizing any potential risks. I will of course use small amounts of water little by little as I decarbonize. Iíve already done a lot of maintenance in advance of this (new plugs, MSD wires, PCV filter, PCV hose, crankcase hose, crankcase breather filter (i.e. PCV makeup air filter), cleaned throttle body, intake & idle air controller, replaced air filter, flushed radiator, new radiator fan & hoses, new thermostat & radiator cap, new Mobil 1 synthetic oil & filter, new oil pan/gasket, new oil sending unit, new rack & pinion, new control arm, new upper/lower motor mounts, new timing belt, water pump, tensioner, pulley, serpentine & alternator belt).

So Iím wondering what you all think of the following questions for water decarbonization of 2003 PT Turbo, 66,000 miles.

1) Should we only water decarbonize via the PCV hose which leads to the intake manifold (Iím not comfortable pulling the brake hose)? Or is there benefit to also decarbonizing through the air intake to ensure it reaches the turbo?

2) Is there a chance that even a small portion of the carbon anywhere in the engine, doesnít dissolve, but instead gets dislodged and stuck in other parts of the engine or turbo? Or tiny pieces of carbon get dislodged and impact other parts of the engine or turbo in a negative way, only to then dissolve as they travel out the exhaust?

3) Is there a need or a benefit to changing newly changed spark plugs or oil after water decarbonization? Example Ė perhaps thereís a risk of fouling the plugs?? Or perhaps a tiny portion of water remains inside the oil?? Iím not sure, just asking.

4) Will the air filter get moist or need to be changed after water decarbonization? Iím thinking that water could potentially travel through the crank case vent hose into the filter housing. I suspect the water will turn to steam before it even reaches the air filter housing, but just wondering if sufficient steam reaches the filter, perhaps it will turn the filter moist so itís best to change it after??
Old 17 Sep 2014, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: DECARBONIZING ENGINE WITH WATER

I do this often and you will not hurt your engine.
The key is to introduce the water and keep feathering the throttle.

The PCV or power brake hose are both good choices.

What you will see is the water coming out the exhaust. If it comes out thick and black that is carbon. At some point depending on how must and how long you do the water cleaning the water will start top come out clear. Once that has happened there is no more carbon .

If you stall the engine no problem it will start back up.

If you get and engine light no problem it should go away on its own. If by chance it doesn't you can clear the code with a scan tool.

The engine may run a little rough at first but it will clear out and run smooth. It takes a little practice and doing this procedure a few time to gain confidence.

I am going to pm and give you my contact number so you can call me and talk in better detail if you like before you do this.
Dream2PT and thecabinguy like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Sep 2014, 09:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Nitro even squirts water into his engine when he is driving!!
Old 17 Sep 2014, 10:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Nitro even squirts water into his engine when he is driving!!
shhhhh! not talking about that yet!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Sep 2014, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Spraying water down the intake sounds like something backwoods folks would do here in Arkansas. Some used to use transmission fluid too.

A better choice is likely to use Techron.

This stuff has been around a long time and the concentrated version does seem to work.
quicksilverdon and VNT like this.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First it can't get to the air filter. It's going directly to the intake manifold. Everything just goes out the tail pipe. No worrys. Just do it as Nitro tells ya. It's all good.
Dream2PT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Sep 2014, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Water Injection
Brief history and theory:
Water Injection

My buddy Eric.

The use of chemical treatments may work but generally will not be as efficient may cause spark plug fouling and take longer without as complete results as doing direct water introduction into the intake system!
Dream2PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Sep 2014, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All great feedback from everyone! Iíve used a Techron treatment once last year. It didnít make any noticeable difference with engine operation or MPG. I did the Techron then, as I want to do the water decarbonization now, strictly as a preventative maintenance item.

Regarding the water going right into the intake and out the exhaust. I was concerned that water injected into the intake manifold will travel into the crank and perhaps if not completely steamed off, may enter the crank case vent hose which is connected to the air filter housing.

Nitro, great history lesson on water injection and great video from Eric the Car Guy!
Old 18 Sep 2014, 01:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Small amounts of water although really can't get into the crancase doing this proceed would evaporate out of the engine anyway with a normal engine clcling and driving.

You can also spray water from the aires net tube into the throttle body.

Nothing I am posting is new. Many water injection kits do the same thing but have adjusted jets for long term injection use.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Sep 2014, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So that I do not lose credibility I performed a water combustion cleaning on my personal PT this afternoon to generate some pictures. Sorry no video I am still on the fence between a GoPro and a Sony Action Camera.

Things needed to do the procedure:

1 ft. 3/8" hose
Small funnel to be able to attach the 3/8" hose
A small plastic water bottle

#1 start and drive PT until the engine has reach a good operating temperature

#2 Carefully unplug you MAP sensor from the intake manifol and secure it out of the way and than remove the PCV line and from the intake manifold and valve cover.

#3 Connect your 3/8 hose to the intake manifold.
Yes the N20 is capped off while I am fabricating a mount for the N20 tank in the rear cargo area.

#4 Carefully remover the throttle cable cover.
note" Yes that is NOT the proper recovery tank cap. I lost my cap in the engine compartment somewhere,(I think the PT ate it) and was not going to pay 17 for a new cap. This is a rubber PCV grommet and hood bounce tab that seem to work just nicely as temporary fix.

#6 Attach the funnel to your 3/8" hose. CAREFULLY re-connect your MAP sensor to the intake manifold.
note: in the picture you will see I forgot to re-connect my MAP sensor..ops DTC and engine would't start /run.

#7 Slowly while the engine is running start to pour the water into the funnel

#8 You engine will start to burble and lower the rpm so you will need to feather the throttle manually with your other free hand to maintain an engine speed to keep it running as you are steadily pouring the water into the funnel.

If the engine really feels like it is going to stall than STOP pouring the water and let the engine clear it self up a little before continuing.

You can add as much water as you to the intake for cleaning in total volume but generally unless you engine is really carboned up this one application is more than enough.

When finished turn engine off and re-install the PCV valve and hose. Than the throttle cable cover. Be VERY CAREFUL disconnecting and re-connecting the MAP sensor on the intake manifold.

Restart you PT and go for a drive.

You may have an engine light DTC and also the throttle may be hesitate off idle or starting from a stop. This is all normal and will clear up after a few minutes of driving or a short highway trip. If the DTC/engine light remains on it will go out after one complete cycle of the engine.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN