Advertisements
overheats at random! help

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2014, 10:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to jonathan_mckenzie05
Exclamation overheats at random! help

I have a 2005 Touring with 105,000 miles. I have had it 4 years and last year around june, it began overheating every now and then. Once, it was thermostat, once it was temp control sensor, and once it was simply low on fluid. It stopped overheating on me for almost a year *until hot weather came back in* and now it has started again. after the first time it ran hot this go around, i had fluid checked and it was pretty rusty and smelled like sewage. I had coolant system flushed. Car has always had a weird idle and i never really thought much of it just assumed it was the type of car. since the flush the idle is perfect. not to mention my A/C is way cooler than it has ever been in the 4 years I have owned the car. The day after the coolant flush, i decide that even tho it seems to be fixed that I need to put some miles on it just to be sure. It is not until i get 20 miles from home that it decides to overheat yet again. I drive it all the time locally *no more than 5 miles or so from home* and it does fine, however every now and then even when my guage is reading normal, when i turn off the key i hear what sounds like water gurgling for about a second or 2. any suggestions?
Old 20 Sep 2014, 10:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: overheats at random! help

Have you had the timing belt and water pump replaced yet?
Have you checked to make sure your high speed radiator fan is working?
Does your high speed fan come on when you turn on your A/C?
What kind of coolant has your PT Cruiser been using?
Old 20 Sep 2014, 11:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Timing belt was replaced but not the water pump *yes i know, they should be done at the same time. Mechanic who did work was 'trying to do me a favor' and said that pump was still new and had no play in it so he left it alone*. Doesnt water pump usually leak when it goes bad? mine does not leak and i am not losing coolant. U can also see the coolant flowing under the cap. Yes fan kicks on, and goes into high speed when I turn AC on. prior to coolant flush, I dont know what type of coolant was used however I believe that every time it overheated and mechanic "flushed' system *by simply sticking garden hose into cap and letting it run* that most of my antifreeze was pushed out and replaced with water causing my recent problems. When system was flushed, it was replaced with 50/50.
Old 20 Sep 2014, 11:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does it overheat both highway and around the city driving or only around the city driving?
Do you remember if the coolant at one time looked like it was a brown muddy color before you flushed it?
Old 21 Sep 2014, 12:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

No it does not overheat in the city. I drive daily. Last time it overheated it was after 20 miles of 60mph constant speed *not really hwy speed*. And yes it was rusty brown prior to flush. That is what prompted a flush. I also notice that even in the city, no matter if I go a mile or 10 miles, as soon as I turn off key I hear water 'gurgle' for about 2 seconds then stop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by jonathan_mckenzie05; 21 Sep 2014 at 12:29 am.
Old 21 Sep 2014, 12:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PT Cruisers are required to use HOAT coolant. Many PT Cruisers are not aware of this and they mix the HOAT coolant with general brand coolant and it turns the coolant into a muddy brown color. This combination can clog up the cores in your radiator.

Has your radiator been replaced? If not I would check the flow going in and out of it or have someone check it out. When you go over 38 mph your radiator fan turns off and your radiator is suppose to keep your engine cool. Your radiator might be clogged up restricting coolant flow causing your engine to overheat on the highway.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 11:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
PT Cruisers are required to use HOAT coolant. Many PT Cruisers are not aware of this and they mix the HOAT coolant with general brand coolant and it turns the coolant into a muddy brown color. This combination can clog up the cores in your radiator.

Has your radiator been replaced? If not I would check the flow going in and out of it or have someone check it out. When you go over 38 mph your radiator fan turns off and your radiator is suppose to keep your engine cool. Your radiator might be clogged up restricting coolant flow causing your engine to overheat on the highway.
Also should use only distilled water.
Have your radiator scanned with an infrared thermometer to look for hot/cold spots indicating clogging.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Sep 2014, 01:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Two old glass jars.

Fill each jar with 1/4 any retail available automotive antifreeze on the US market.

Fill one of the two jars with distilled water or as Native American call it "dead water".

Fill the other jar with any clear water. This means to use well water river or straight out of the garden hose.

Than in each jar drop in as many different metals as you can find. Iron, steel aluminum, etc. be sure that each jar receives the same size and quantity of material.

Place a lid on each jar and set it in a dark area of the garage. This way for the first part of the test no UV can interact with your test bottle contents.

After a week or 6 mos take note what is happening to the material in each jar.

After a week or 6 mos place each jar outside so the UVs can react to the contents. Take note what is happening to the material in each jar.

Than to really challenge physics' remove the lid to allow 02 into the jars. Oxygen will cause the accelerated breakdown of material water.

Repeat the observation in a week or better another 6 mos.

If at the end of this experiment I would really like to see if anybody can honestly report that plain water caused accelerated or even advanced material break down over the use of distilled.

As I have said before a cooling system is not a wet battery.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 23 Sep 2014 at 01:40 am.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am not saying tap water causes accelerated decay of metals - tap water like mine has so much calcium suspended it forms stalactites on faucets. The scale from suspended minerals in tap water can clog radiator passages.

I propose a different experiment - fill 2 glasses with with water - 1 tap water, the other distilled water, and cover with cloth to keep dust out and let them completely evaporate.
In my case the tap water glass will have a deposit of yellow-white powder/crystal at the bottom, while the distilled glass will be clear.

My brother-in-law joked that my water was so hard that when he took a shower it bruised his face....

Distilled water is cheap enough, it is better to use in your cooling system.
NitroPT likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 23 Sep 2014 at 08:09 am.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I liked the response Don!

Only we don't drive with a dry radiator and engine.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN