Advertisements
Rough Idle

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2014, 11:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough Idle

Hi'

Recently picked up an 05 Dream cruiser for my wife. It is the second cruiser for us , the first being an 05 touring edition conv. we bought new. Anyway the dream cruiser has a rough idle when the air is turned on. When the rpms are increased or the air is turned off it smooths out considerably . I have taken it to a Chrysler dealer and after a couple of hours all they could tell me is to bring it back so they could dig a little deeper and check the timing belt. I was told when purchasing that the timing belt was fairly new. The car does have 120000 miles on it. We did do the belt at 100000 on our 05 touring as a maintenance item, but never had this type of idle before or afterward. Is the dealer just trying to steer me towards a new belt or is he on the right track? I apprec iate any input.

Thanks ,Mike
Old 22 Sep 2014, 11:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Rough Idle

I also had that problem of rough idle during a/c and found out that it wasn't rough idle but rather bad motor mounts which was causing vibration.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 11:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You might want to check your radiator fan. Has the radiator fan been replaced? Does the high speed come on the radiator fan when you turn on your air conditioning?
Old 22 Sep 2014, 11:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It has bran new motor mounts that the dealer we purchased it from put on(I have the old ones). The Chrysler shop I took it to did mention that it could be a cooling fan module, but wanted to look at the timing belt also. Wasn't sure if this was necessary or not.

Mike
Old 23 Sep 2014, 12:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Does it have a rough idle only when its cold or after it warms up or both?
Old 23 Sep 2014, 12:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You can check it - open hood, start car, then turn on A/C - engine fan should come on...if not, there's your problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Sep 2014, 12:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Does it have a rough idle only when its cold or after it warms up or both?
Both, but only with the AC on.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 12:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You can check it - open hood, start car, then turn on A/C - engine fan should come on...if not, there's your problem.
It does appear to come on but will check again later when wife comes home from work.

Ps, it does not overheat or even run hot and we have had it in some heavier traffic.

Last edited by Rootbeer; 23 Sep 2014 at 12:16 am.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 01:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootbeer View Post
It has bran new motor mounts that the dealer we purchased it from put on(I have the old ones). The Chrysler shop I took it to did mention that it could be a cooling fan module, but wanted to look at the timing belt also. Wasn't sure if this was necessary or not.

Mike
Did they give you the old center and transmission mounts, the upper and lower torque struts that keeps the engine from going back and forth? You should have received 2 motor mounts and 2 torque struts.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 01:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the motor mounts, torque struts, and radiator coolant high speed fan checks out okay you might want to check out the idle air control valve(IAC).