PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
turbo surging at half throttle

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2014, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default turbo surging at half throttle

Ok , I have had some issues that I can't quite figure out , most of the bugs where worked out with some new spark plugs and better wires . The problem I have is with my car surging when I get into the boost ,If I give it full throttle sometimes it will blow the brake booster hose out of the intake so not sure if that might be where the vacuum leak is. The hose fits on to a metal piece that just pushes into the intake. On long trips it will set a p1188 code and you can feel it surge . Anyone ?
Old 24 Sep 2014, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: turbo surging at half throttle

Inspect all hoses.

Vacuum and control hoses carefully remove and cut back about 1/8-1/4 and carefully re-install.

If any hose is hard, brittle or generally looking in less than good condition take the time and replace the complete hose/line. Carefully remove one end and label it and than follow the hose/line to the other attaching pint and label and remove it. In the case that hoses or lines go into an area that is not easily accessible than cut at the point you can install a splice tube and than replace the line from that splice tube to the first point of removal. Make a note for future record your repairs.

Remove the upper intake and the Throttle body assembly form the intake manifold. Using simply green and lots of soapy water thoroughly clean the upper intake inside and out.

Using a can of throttle body cleaning carefully clean the inside of the throttle body and be sure to open the throttle plate a couple of time while spraying the cleaner.

DO NOT over torque the 3 Throtle body fasteners when re attaching the TB on the upper intake manifold.

With a can of carburetor cleaners carefully spray down the lower intake runners to clean the walls. Don't worry about the oil residue running into the combustion chambers. The engine will start.

Re install all the cleaned parts being very careful with all the electrical connectors.

When everything has been reassembled now is the time to clean the electrical connector on the imports sensors.
TIP,MAP, IAC ,IAT etc using a spray can of electrical parts cleaner. Be sure to let them air dry before reconnecting.

This should rid most all your drivabilty problems.

Naturally you have check for DTC right?
jennandjudd and SPLNeon like this.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks so much , yes to the dtc , only code that it will throw is the p1188 and that is on a long drive I guess from all the surging, around town it runs perfect as long as you dont get into it
Old 24 Sep 2014, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennandjudd View Post
Thanks so much , yes to the dtc , only code that it will throw is the p1188 and that is on a long drive I guess from all the surging, around town it runs perfect as long as you dont get into it
Just a though but you might try changing the plugs again. I recommend a cheap and effective Champion # 470 /RE14MCC5 gaped at .042 solid.

What you might have is a heat glaze on the new spark plugs. It is hard to burn it off and usually requires media blasting if you really can't find the justification to toss a set of fairley new plugs. LOL
Old 24 Sep 2014, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I put a set of champions in and gaped at 42 about 3 weeks ago , I believe they are the same plugs that came stock with the car .
Old 24 Sep 2014, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I put a set of champions in and gaped at 42 about 3 weeks ago , I believe they are the same plugs that came stock with the car .
Yes but you did not read what I said. Pull'um install a new set and see how the PT runs. If it does the same thing your only have a spare set of spark plugs for the next routine change of them.

It only takes a few seconds of engine operation to heat glaze plugs which is a form of spark plug fouling.

I though to consider, if your hose is popping off under boost and the hose is in good shape than this means you are perhaps leaning out and having a backfire in the intake manifold. You may not get a DTC from this happening?
jennandjudd likes this.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

gotcha ,, I will give it a try and post back tomorrow or friday , thanks again for the help
Old 24 Sep 2014, 06:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok Nitro got a little impatient and did the plug swap ,, was crossing my fingers but still no luck , I will go through and check the hoses next . thanks
NitroPT likes this.
Old 22 Nov 2014, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok after all the stress on trying to figure why my car wasnt right , was reading a couple threads in the srt4 forums , so I tried it out . I took the lines coming off the turbo and wastegate going to the solenoid and pulled them off and put a hose connecting the two bypassing the solenoid and I got it . My conclusion being the wastegate was not opening and all the pressure was staying in causing the hesitation . It is running like brand new again. Thanks Nitro for you help
Old 22 Nov 2014, 09:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Ok after all the stress on trying to figure why my car wasnt right , was reading a couple threads in the srt4 forums , so I tried it out . I took the lines coming off the turbo and wastegate going to the solenoid and pulled them off and put a hose connecting the two bypassing the solenoid and I got it . My conclusion being the wastegate was not opening and all the pressure was staying in causing the hesitation . It is running like brand new again. Thanks Nitro for you help
So you are just running wastegate spring pressure now? 4psi? Or did you replace the solinoid after diahnosing it as the problem?!

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.