Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor Mounts ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2014, 07:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Motor Mounts ?

I know there are three motor mounts, I have replaced the upper, and lower, but how/where is the middle mount? Is it a 'driveway' fix or do I take it to a shop?
Old 25 Sep 2014, 08:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Mounts ?

You'll have to remove the lower & upper mounts to jack up the engine in order to replace the middle mount. The middle mount rarely goes bad.

replacing the mid motor mount

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 25 Sep 2014 at 08:08 am.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
I know there are three motor mounts, I have replaced the upper, and lower, but how/where is the middle mount? Is it a 'driveway' fix or do I take it to a shop?
What diagnosis is encouraging you to replace the middle mount?
Old 26 Sep 2014, 09:37 am
Cool Cruiser

I have a shimmy when pulling away from a traffic light, going up a hill, and right/left turns. I have replaced the lower and upper mounts which both were bad, and thought to also replace the middle one as well thinking it too might be bad. I have an 07 with 54k miles and have had this shimmy for awhile now, and it had a shimmy when I bought it. I started out by getting new tires and wheels along with a front end alignment and balancing. Still had a shimmy, but better... then I replaced the lower control arm bushings and link end bushings, still had a shimmy, but better... then I replaced the upper and lower motor mounts, still had a shimmy, but better still. Now I'm at my wits end, and don't know where to go next. I've spent hundreds of $. Not being a mechanic, I ask questions where I can. I was told to also try tie rod ends, and to get the wheels balanced again @#$%#@!
Old 26 Sep 2014, 10:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Just going to put this out there...and incur the wrath of Nitro...

My 2005 has a shimmy. When I purchased it used, it would show up above 50 mph and go away around 55mph.

Completely unrelated, I changed out the spark plugs and wires around 3 to 6 months...and the shimmy wasn't as bad (hardly noticable) and it moved to above 55 mph and goes away around 60 mph. It was the only change I made and doesn't make any sense to me. But I figured I would put it out there!

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).
Old 26 Sep 2014, 10:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
I have a shimmy when pulling away from a traffic light, going up a hill, and right/left turns. I have replaced the lower and upper mounts which both were bad, and thought to also replace the middle one as well thinking it too might be bad. I have an 07 with 54k miles and have had this shimmy for awhile now, and it had a shimmy when I bought it. I started out by getting new tires and wheels along with a front end alignment and balancing. Still had a shimmy, but better... then I replaced the lower control arm bushings and link end bushings, still had a shimmy, but better... then I replaced the upper and lower motor mounts, still had a shimmy, but better still. Now I'm at my wits end, and don't know where to go next. I've spent hundreds of $. Not being a mechanic, I ask questions where I can. I was told to also try tie rod ends, and to get the wheels balanced again @#$%#@!

Have you checked the Transmission Mounts..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 26 Sep 2014, 11:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What do you fell the shimmy in? Steering wheel, gas peddle , or seat?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Sep 2014, 03:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks 'hoghunter', car runs like a dream. I have not checked the trans mount, but a good thought 'lionpt'. and 'bustedpt', the feel is in the steering wheel and seat. Thanks guys for your info!
Old 26 Sep 2014, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks 'hoghunter', car runs like a dream. I have not checked the trans mount, but a good thought 'lionpt'. and 'bustedpt', the feel is in the steering wheel and seat. Thanks guys for your info!
Then you can rule out powertrain. Look carefully at the wheels, tires, hubs, bearing, tie rods, and ball joints.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Sep 2014, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Have you checked both of your front wheel bearings?