Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How Hard Is It To Replace Battery Terminal

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2014, 01:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question How Hard Is It To Replace Battery Terminal?

My negative battery terminal seems to be all messed up. It never really has a good connection, and when I try to either tighten OR loosen the 10mm nut on the end, the whole bolt and nut rotates. (On the other hand, on the POSITIVE terminal, the bolt stays in place when tightening the nut.)

Is it an easy job to unclamp the terminal from the two cables going into the negative terminal, put on a new one, and then just clamp it down with vise grips / plumbers helps?

What would I use to un-clamp the terminal from the two cables coming in? And do I need to coat the wires in some kind of grease or other material to help ensure a secure connection?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by myjeephatesme; 25 Sep 2014 at 02:00 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 02:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: How Hard Is It To Replace Battery Terminal

I see no reason not to get an oldtyme solid lead battery cable end for your PT Cruiser. Like these

Universal Battery Terminal Standard Duty Solid Lead | eBay

Yes, you can use one on the positive side and the other on the negative side.

You would simply cut off the existing wires and put them in the clamp part of the cable end. The only problem might be if the wires end up too short to fit your battery. Then you would have to either get longer battery cables or make a patch to make the wire long enough to reach.

If you have a long nose pair of vice grips you should be able to hold your spinning bolt and might be able to tighten the nut on it or maybe put a wrench on the other end of the bolt to tighten the nut.

If you can you should take the nut all the way off and clean both the nut and bolt and think about replacing them with new ones. Stainless steel nuts and bolts hold up better around batteries than carbon steel ones.

The only reason I ever put grease on a battery connection was to try and hold down the corrosion. It will help but I don't think anything can stop it from happening.
ColTED likes this.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 02:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the reply, and for the suggestion for the universal terminals. I would certainly like to use them since the look more robust.

My concern is that if I CUT the negative cables, they are going to be too short.

Would it be ok to leave the part of the terminal that crimps the cable ON the cable, break off the rest of the terminal, and then put the ends of the cable (that still have the part that crimps around them) into the clams of the universal battery terminal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 02:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This is a problem with all modern cars. The cables are just long enough to get the terminal over the battery posts with no wiggle room for new clamp-on terminals. Bean counters.
The replacement stamped terminals from Auto Zone are guaranteed to rot off in just months. The material used is thin and just garbage. Haven't gotten a set from any other parts store yet but am not too hopeful.
It isn't easy to replace the cable assembly but I wish I had done it when I had the whole front end apart.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 03:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
Would it be ok to leave the part of the terminal that crimps the cable ON the cable, break off the rest of the terminal, and then put the ends of the cable (that still have the part that crimps around them) into the clams of the universal battery terminal?
sure. but that sounds like a really lazy, half-ass way to do it.

don't you own anything that could cut that off and leave the cable intact? dremel, grinder, hacksaw, etc?

i like you and i'm just encouraging you to do it right and not like a highschool kid. -rob

Last edited by rob342; 25 Sep 2014 at 03:43 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 03:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
sure. but that sounds like a really lazy, half-ass way to do it.
Well, then I'm just the man to do it!

I have a hacksaw or two. Since it looks like it is copper, I think I could make it through that crimp without losing a finger or two.

Thanks.
rob342 likes this.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 03:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

if you can't get it, you should have enough length to just cut the cable and bolt the new end on. mine broke where it bolts to the trans and i had no issue cutting a corroded inch off to solder a new ring terminal on there. they aren't THAT short, or at least on my 2002 they arent.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Universal clamp style battery connectors will cause problems on computer control vehicles that require a constant and fix ground and power supply. Electricity travels in a circular motion and clamping of battery cables lowers there effective electrical load capacity of the cable. Not to mention you increase the likelihood of corrosion due to creating electrolysis with this method of battery cable connector repair.

It is better to replace the cable harness or solder the the new cable ends.
randyincctx likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 Sep 2014 at 05:57 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 06:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Universal clamp style battery connectors will cause problems on computer control vehicles that require a constant and fix ground and power supply...
Hi there, Nitro:

Just so I understand, are you telling that to me or to Rob?

Are you saying that I am going have problems if I use these instead?

Super Start 08506 - Battery Terminal | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Thanks in advance for letting me know if it is ok to use these terminals or not.

The ones that are on their now are like these:

http://www.delcity.net/images/photos/909065_primary.jpg

Last edited by myjeephatesme; 25 Sep 2014 at 06:57 pm. Reason: Fixed image links
Old 25 Sep 2014, 06:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It is better to replace the cable harness or solder the the new cable ends.
Can I just abandon it on the side of the road???

OK, since I haven't cut away from where the terminal is crimped / soldered to the wires, and since there ain't no freaking way I am going to get new cable harness (this car doesn't deserve one), can I cut the bolt that spins freely on the negative side and replace it with another bolt and nut?

Other option: Can I just by those battery post "sleeves" that slide over the battery posts (adding girth to them) and help ensure that the terminals are nice and tight?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._SY300_.jpg