Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Help Needed! Both Type and Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2014, 08:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Battery Help Needed! Both Type and Installation

I just bought a replacement battery from O'Reilley and the battery holder at the rear of the battery tray is NOT holding the battery in place.

do I have the wrong battery or the wrong battery holder?

The battery has a slot on the front and back of the sides near the bottom. There is a lip on the front of the battery tray that fits into the slot on the front side of the battery fine.

But the back battery holder doesn't fit into the slot on the side of the battery. The battery holder looks kind of like it has teeth, but it it too thick to fit in the slots.

1) Is there a specific type of battery / battery slot that I need?

2) Is there a specific model of battery holder that I need?

I swear that I have the OEM default battery holder in there, and that the battery I got from O'Reilly is the one in their system for my 2005 N/A pt cruiser. The people at O'Reilleys want me to put the battery in as best as it can go and drive it over there 9about four blocks) so they can look at it. That kind of sounds like a bad idea to me personally...
Old 25 Sep 2014, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Help Needed! Both Type and Installation

What size battery did you get?
Why is the original battery holder not in the PT Cruiser?
Old 25 Sep 2014, 11:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is an exact battery replacement from O Reilley. Look at your reciept match it to the battery and post the number or refer to thier websitebto confirm you have the correct battery.

Most all battery trays that I am aware of from them ate universal. This means you may need to make allowances or modification to make it work for you.

The important thing is to match the battery numberbto the appication guide on thier website. If this is correct than something is incorrect with your factory hold downs , installation error or a slight posibility the battery labels are in correct.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Sep 2014, 03:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
I just bought a replacement battery from O'Reilley and the battery holder at the rear of the battery tray is NOT holding the battery in place.

do I have the wrong battery or the wrong battery holder?

The battery has a slot on the front and back of the sides near the bottom. There is a lip on the front of the battery tray that fits into the slot on the front side of the battery fine.

But the back battery holder doesn't fit into the slot on the side of the battery. The battery holder looks kind of like it has teeth, but it it too thick to fit in the slots.

1) Is there a specific type of battery / battery slot that I need?

2) Is there a specific model of battery holder that I need?

I swear that I have the OEM default battery holder in there, and that the battery I got from O'Reilly is the one in their system for my 2005 N/A pt cruiser. The people at O'Reilleys want me to put the battery in as best as it can go and drive it over there 9about four blocks) so they can look at it. That kind of sounds like a bad idea to me personally...
The tapered plastic holder that the bolt goes through to secure the battery is formed differently for two different batterys, you may just need to flip it over.
It is marked but I cannot remember which side goes up.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 26 Sep 2014, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This member makes it difficult to help. What year and model PT??

This is an on going problem with members in general asking for help with their PT cruisers...YOU MUST TO GIVE YOUR YEAR AND MODEL WHEN YOU ASK FOR HELP!!

Members should not have to search previous threads or go to profile hoping you filled it out to find this simple bit of information!

Thanks!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Sep 2014, 08:50 am
Regular Cruiser

Sorry about that. Thought my year and model was in my signature. Apparently not.

It is a 2005 normal aspirated touring (I think) edition. It is kind of the cheapest model for that year. When the sun comes up this morning, I will go down and take a look.

I am pretty sure that it is the STOCK battery holder (the sort of tapered black plastic one).

Yes, it has two sides: one says USA Autos (or USA Batteries), flip it upside down and the other side says European Autos (or European Batteries, can't remember exactly).

I was given the battery that the people from O'Reilly looked up in the computer system. It was the same battery that was in there before (which had just died). I made them double check.

Every time I tried to tighten down the rear battery holder, it would slip past the grove on the back side of the battery. I couldn't get it to stay in place.

Yes, it was the same battery that was in there before. However, I am not sure that previous battery "fit" either. It could have been that the previous battery was flopping around in there, too. (I noticed that part of the air filter housing extends over the top of the battery and maybe the battery was not seated properly but I didn't notice because the air filter housing was close enough to stop it from moving around too much???)

They told me to put the battery in as best I could, then drive it the four blocks to their store so they could take a look at it.

So at about 8 o'clock last night I was in there parking lot and one of the people from O'Reilly brought out a couple of different batteries and kept trying out different ones until he found one that would fit the battery tray and would work with the default rear battery holder.

Which model battery is it? I have no idea. I will have to look at it this morning after the sun comes up.

Thanks again.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nitro's way of checking a battery

Take note an 05 PT although it is a GT but also notice it is an O'Reilly Auto Parts Battery.

5 minute change with all the factory battery securing components.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN