PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No power. Help!!!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Sep 2014, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No power. Help!!!

I have a 2006 cruiser 100000 miles. Had the timing belt changed recently and while there they told me the computer fried. They replaced it. As I am driving home from mechanic it started to sputter and then died. Everything died no lights or flashers. Basically no power at all. I towed it home and checked brand new battery and it was fine. I have the flashers on while I try to find the problem so I know if it's getting power when I mess with something. My neighbor told me my lights were flashing this morning for about an hour and then went off. They did come on once for me while I was standing there but as soon as u turn the key everything shuts down again. Hooking it up to jump does nothing either. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 05:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: No power. Help!!!

if it ran fine before you took it in for the timing belt, i'd go raise hell at the shop. preferably when they're full of customers.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 05:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Take it back to the mechanic...it all started with them...you have a warranty, they should fix it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 26 Sep 2014, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Trying to do this on my own and the mechanic will never touch my car again. Just looking for some things to check. Checked fuses they r fine.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 05:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholles View Post
Trying to do this on my own and the mechanic will never touch my car again. Just looking for some things to check. Checked fuses they r fine.
If it's a bad PCM (computer) or they programed it wrong, you need to get it checked. If you start messing with things, they could void your warranty...saying it was fine when you left, you broke it.

Is it throwing any codes..??
boonie2 likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 26 Sep 2014, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

At least call the mechanic and see if they still have the old computer and explain what happened...
boonie2 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Sep 2014, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you try unplugging the battery cable, hit the brakes for a few seconds, wait 15 minutes and then put the battery cable back on?
Old 26 Sep 2014, 11:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Are the battery terminals clean and tight?

The pcm is located just above the brake fluid tank, make sure all 4 plugs are pushed all the way in.

Will it turn over when trying to start it with the key?
if not?

Look on the instrument cluster with the key on, is the small round red security light on?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 27 Sep 2014, 12:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Are the battery terminals clean and tight?

The pcm is located just above the brake fluid tank, make sure all 4 plugs are pushed all the way in.

Will it turn over when trying to start it with the key?
if not?

Look on the instrument cluster with the key on, is the small round red security light on?
I found that when my SKIM fails on my PT Cruiser it will start but then die within 3 seconds. I would either reset the computer with my scanner or I would disconnect the battery cable, step on the brake for a few seconds, put the battery cable back on and then start the car and go home.
Old 27 Sep 2014, 08:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

So I went and had my battery tested which was 2 months old and they said it was dead. When I put the new one in all my lights came on so I tried to start it. At first it cranked and started for a few seconds and died and when I tried to restart everything went black again. When I turn the key it doesn't crank or anything everything just shuts off. Neg ground looks good. New battery terminals.