PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I have a socket stuck in crankshaft where pulley bolt is supposed to go

Like Tree16Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2014, 09:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I have a socket stuck in crankshaft where pulley bolt is supposed to go

After considering what happen and reading all the fine suggestions.......... IMHO I would use a large screw extractor to remove the socket. These are not cheap but still better than some alternatives that may make it worse?

The crank is hard enough I doubt using this suggestion that you will hard the threads but I would still chase it anyway. But that's just me.
LionPT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Sep 2014, 09:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: I have a socket stuck in crankshaft where pulley bolt is supposed to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
After considering what happen and reading all the fine suggestions.......... IMHO I would use a large screw extractor to remove the socket. These are not cheap but still better than some alternatives that may make it worse?

The crank is hard enough I doubt using this suggestion that you will hard the threads but I would still chase it anyway. But that's just me.
I considered this too, but just scared the extractor would break in this instance. It also looks like the bolt end of the socket is considerably smaller than the 1/4" drive end. that would mean very limited engagement if a big extractor was used and a weak extractor if a small one was used.

If he drills it the drive opening will effectively center the drill, if if its a cheapo socket it may drill nicely. He could also snap a bit off inside too and be worse off.

Lol the original poster has lots of suggestions. I don't envy him in this case.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 09:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I considered this too, but just scared the extractor would break in this instance.

Lol the original poster has lots of suggestions. I don't envy him in this case.
The extractor is harder than the socket cheap-o or quality. Most general use sockets are plated so not harden which would be black.
I have removed more than my fair share of f-ups from DIYrs breaking the harden crank bolt in the crank.

I do not care for drilling anything like this except a very last resort. It is to easy to break drills and damage the threads. A thread chaser for this is more expensive than an extractor.

The dent puller/slide hammer is the most DIY method I may consider if money was an object. But the tool would still need to be modified with a very large securing fastener which may simply be to weak to do the extraction?

My suggestions are just me and what I have done and would do in this case.
myckee likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Sep 2014 at 09:45 am.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I assume from the image that the opening of the socket is facing us. Please correct me if I am wrong.

What size is the outside diameter of the socket?

I would suggest being very careful and drill it out only cutting a little at a time with different size drills (metric,letter, and fraction size drills) or reamers until the wall of the socket is very thin. Use cutting fluid. You would have to be very careful and don't drill through the socket at the bottom of the socket. This way the socket can collapse if the walls are very thin when you turn it. If you were close by I would have stopped by and bring the drills and reamers to do the job.
If the socket is a harden steel socket use cobalt drills and reamers. Don't use carbide as carbide will break and then you will have a bigger problem on your hands. You will need a variable drill motor to keep the rpm's you need. You will want to have someone next to you to keep the drill going straight into the socket. Keep the rpm's low so you don't heat up the socket.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 28 Sep 2014 at 11:04 am.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 10:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Since the socket is perhaps not the finest tool ever made tapping it out and using a long grade 8 bolt as a puller might work.

Thread the socket square hole to something like 3/8-16 and just screw it in. When the end of the bolt bottoms in the hole in the crank you might get lucky and pull the socket out.

I think I'd use lots and lots of good lube like Kroil oil or maybe WD-40.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9VQF View Post
Since the socket is perhaps not the finest tool ever made tapping it out and using a long grade 8 bolt as a puller might work.

Thread the socket square hole to something like 3/8”-16 and just screw it in. When the end of the bolt bottoms in the hole in the crank you might get lucky and pull the socket out.

I think I'd use lots and lots of good lube like Kroil oil or maybe WD-40.
IMHO....
All good ideas except in this case....... If you use anything to lube it you may simply make it harder for griping of apparatus to extract it. In this case dry and clean is better. In fact spraying it with CRC brake clean would actually be a better thought before the extracting process?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Sep 2014, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I must say there are some great suggestions here and combining some of the suggestions might even be a better way to go to ensure no damage is done.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 11:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

I might just be me, the way I think...but what about putting a nut or two into the socket...
Thread a bolt into it till it bottoms out & attach it to an impact wrench..??
NitroPT likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 28 Sep 2014 at 12:10 pm.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I might just be me, the way I think...but what about putting a nut or two into the socket...
what a GREAT idea!!

I tend to over tech problems at times. The drier stopped heating so I tore it all apart thinking it was the thermal sensor. The wife came along looking panic and asked what I broke now? I BROKE? When I told her what I was doing she asked did you clean the lint trap because I washed an old blanket the other day? She said she was just asking because I am alway mentiong to always check the lint trap before using the drier
An hour later the drier was re-assembled lint trap cleaned and it dried just fine.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Sep 2014 at 12:50 pm.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 12:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
The problem with that is the socket is in with the drive side out. You would have had to have the nut inside the socket before it was pushed into the end of the crankshaft.

My idea of threading the 1/4" square drive hole and using a long bolt might be the best {short of replacing the whole crank}

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Closed Thread