PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I have a socket stuck in crankshaft where pulley bolt is supposed to go

Like Tree16Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2014, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I have a socket stuck in crankshaft where pulley bolt is supposed to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemechanic View Post
Hi all.... I said I would post back once we found a remedy...We tried many things including slide hammer.... but the one that finally worked was threading the socket and creating a custom attachment for a steering wheel puller then rethreading the crank.... The socket is toast, it was actually twisted about 1/8 turn.... She's all back together and running like a charm.... Thanks everybody for the input....
Can you tell us what size tap you used to thread the socket. I believe there wasn't that much wall thickness on the socket so its critical not to tap pass the outer wall of the socket cutting into the inside diameter of the crank thread. This information will keep someone else from putting in the wrong tap if someone else does the same thing.
Old 05 Oct 2014, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I have a socket stuck in crankshaft where pulley bolt is supposed to go

Well good news to hear that you worked through this big pain in the butt. These things that we find ourselves in help hone our abilities. Thank you for your follow up. Helps others that will find herself in your shoes. Many readers will never register and find their cure without anyone knowing. Congrats on a job well done.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Oct 2014, 02:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Can you tell us what size tap you used to thread the socket. I believe there wasn't that much wall thickness on the socket so its critical not to tap pass the outer wall of the socket cutting into the inside diameter of the crank thread. This information will keep someone else from putting in the wrong tap if someone else does the same thing.
It is a 5/16 thread... He then made an adapter/extension piece to connect to the steering wheel puller... I'd send a pic but my savior took it with him.. For future projects I suspect
Old 05 Oct 2014, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9VQF View Post
I can handle carrot juice but I am primarily a carnivore, I do eat meat and have been know to kill it myself.

I used to trap and kill animals, then sell the pelts so I could buy my own school clothes, amongst other things.

I come from a family of 11, my designation is 3 of 9 {picked that up from Star Trek, thank you} so money was always pretty tight, many times you either provided extras for yourself or went with out. Once I figured out how to make money doing something I would do so to provide the extras for myself and my kindred.

I got into the fur trade in the mid '60's to the late '70's by shooting things to eat mostly. I did pretty well and just happened to have several hides when the fur buyers came to town one fall. I actually traded the first few coon pelts I had for a hand full of traps. The next thing you knew I had like 40 traps. I did well selling skins.

Trapping was easier than hustling around hunting all the time.
I have spent MANY a night walking through the woods listing for the dogs to bark TREED sold a lot of coon hides a few beaver pelts and even a couple deer skids never was into trapping never ate the coon myself but we had a few family's that loved it and were pretty down on there luck so we always had a place to take the meat it never went to waste at one time I was on a run of 14 deer in 14 years but theni live on my family farm and the tree stands stay up all year and we have several food plots so relaly that's not much of a acomplishment
Old 05 Oct 2014, 05:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well, since this thread is pretty well done anyway might as well high jack it some more.

There was an old widow lady in town who could do coon meat up like cold packed beef.

She was on my paper route and one day when I went to collect she told me she could no longer afford to get the paper, she also mentioned that it was becoming a problem just to put food on the table. I told her not to worry about paying for the paper because most days I had extra papers. The paper would send a few extra most days so I could give them away to perspective new subscribers.

I also asked her if she had any problems with eating wild meat and she said no she had been raised in the wilderness by wolves. She had actually been a country girl until she married sometime before the second world war.

So, I started bringing her a lot of the carcasses from the fur I harvested. One evening after I had brought her a couple coon she gave me a jar of the meat she had done up.

I had been eating a lot of the things I had killed and skinned, but that cold pack coon was very good. Much better than what mom had been doing with them and my mom had grown up eating wild meat too and was a very good cook.

The old gal continued to get a free paper and a lot of the meat I killed and I would get a jar of cold packed meat from time to time.

Finally her kids put her in a nursing home so that all ended.

I got a few beaver too. The really good beaver runs were like 20 miles away from me but occasionally I would get one that evidently had moved out of the popular places to find new ground.

That old woman would make beaver tail jerky that was second to none and a darn good beaver tail soup too.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 05 Oct 2014, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Closed Thread