PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I have a socket stuck in crankshaft where pulley bolt is supposed to go

Like Tree16Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2014, 12:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question I have a socket stuck in crankshaft where pulley bolt is supposed to go

Just in case you know somebody that's done the same stupid thing I have... AND... know how they fixed it, please enlighten me....

Here's what happened:
1) I was trying to remove the crankshaft pulley with a three prong pulley remover and I needed an extension cos the middle bolt on the tool was too short.

2) I stuck a couple of 1/4" sockets in the center of the crank (assuming they'd be OK since they slid in easily)

3) Got the pulley off, and one of the sockets came out no problem.... The other socket is jammed deep in the crank, so tight, that all the methods attempted in #4 simply turn the crank. The end of the socket is about 1" from the outer end of the crankshaft (i.e. none of the thread inside the crankshaft can be seen)

4) I can get a 1/4" extension into the jammed socket and tried the following to methods to get it loose:
- attached 1/4"drill attachment and tried spinning it in both directions
- attached a 1/4 " extension to my air gun... Broke the extension
- attached a 1/4 " extension to a breaker bar and struck the bar with a hammer
in both clockwise & counter clockwise directions

btw... I'm a brand new member and this is my first post.... What a great first impression I must be making eh?

Please help
Old 28 Sep 2014, 01:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I have a socket stuck in crankshaft where pulley bolt is supposed to go

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for taking the time to fill out your profile!

Can you post a picture I can't seem to visualize your problem. I will admit my first thought was...........

I may half to go look at mine as I have only removed one on a 2.4 but several on 1.6 and the hubs are near the same.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Sep 2014, 01:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I have a socket stuck in crankshaft where pulley bolt is supposed to go

Wow what a fast response... I think I've attached the picture, it shows the crank with the socket stuck where the pulley bolt should go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060976.jpg (54.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 28 Sep 2014, 01:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup it is in there good and tight!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Sep 2014, 03:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I assume from the image that the opening of the socket is facing us. Please correct me if I am wrong.

What size is the outside diameter of the socket?

I would suggest being very careful and drill it out only cutting a little at a time with different size drills (metric,letter, and fraction size drills) or reamers until the wall of the socket is very thin. Use cutting fluid. You would have to be very careful and don't drill through the socket at the bottom of the socket. This way the socket can collapse if the walls are very thin when you turn it. If you were close by I would have stopped by and bring the drills and reamers to do the job.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 28 Sep 2014 at 03:16 am.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 03:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Is the engine out of the car?

If so you might be able to make a T handle hook out of steel and be able to pull it out. Or if you have a slide hammer you might be able to thread the 1/4 drive hole and screw in a bolt then attach it to your slide hammer and get it out.

Otherwise you might just have to get another crank.

The outside of the socket must have been small enough to easily go into the part that has no threads but the threads were much tighter and you have made a damn tight press fit of the socket. When you tightened the puller trying to get the harmonic balancer off it would have crushed the threads in, now they are working as barbs on a fishhook and not allowing the socket to be pulled out.

One size smaller socket and you might not have this problem but that's the real problem with hind sight does not help now.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 07:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemechanic View Post
Just in case you know somebody that's done the same stupid thing I have... AND... know how they fixed it, please enlighten me....

Here's what happened:
1) I was trying to remove the crankshaft pulley with a three prong pulley remover and I needed an extension cos the middle bolt on the tool was too short.

2) I stuck a couple of 1/4" sockets in the center of the crank (assuming they'd be OK since they slid in easily)

3) Got the pulley off, and one of the sockets came out no problem.... The other socket is jammed deep in the crank, so tight, that all the methods attempted in #4 simply turn the crank. The end of the socket is about 1" from the outer end of the crankshaft (i.e. none of the thread inside the crankshaft can be seen)

4) I can get a 1/4" extension into the jammed socket and tried the following to methods to get it loose:
- attached 1/4"drill attachment and tried spinning it in both directions
- attached a 1/4 " extension to my air gun... Broke the extension
- attached a 1/4 " extension to a breaker bar and struck the bar with a hammer
in both clockwise & counter clockwise directions

btw... I'm a brand new member and this is my first post.... What a great first impression I must be making eh?

Please help
I guess you know by now you should have asked sooner.... You need to make a longer rod to pull the harmonic balancer off. The kit I use is the same as yours.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 28 Sep 2014, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You might try dry ice. It has to be DRY ICE. And remember to wear gloves or it will burn your fingers.

Pack just the socket with dry ice and let it evaporate. Then repeat. After that, try the methods in #4 again. The dry ice will make the socket very cold and may make it contract enough to get it out.

And to hold the craft from turning, try sticking some kind of bar in the front holes on the harmonic balancer. You might get it to catch on the casing somewhere. Just don't bust the casing. Another way is to get a very large pipe wrench to hold it. I have a 36-inch aluminum-handled stillson wrench that works great for this though it does leave some minor teeth marks on the outside of the pulley and of course I have to have room under the car to use it. I did this just a while back on a Mazda 6 engine.

Also if it is a cheap socket, you can likely drill it out thin and then use a small bunch to bend it down and loosen it up. But a good-quality hard steel socket is going to be very hard to drill and you may not be able to bend it until drilled out very thin.

One more thing is to ask some of the members here if they know how deep the threads in the crank go. On a Sebring I used to have, the harmonic ballancer bolt on its 2.4L engine stripped out. But I found the the threads went very deeper into the crank. I was able to go to a bolt/fastening shop and get a much longer grade-10 bolt that could reach the deeper threads. If the PT crank has deep threads like this, it may be possible to drill the socket completely out sacrificing the threads up to that point. But you will need to make very sue that there are deep threads and that there are enough of them.

If all threads are lost, it is also possible to get a die and put slightly bigger diameter threads into the crank. This may include drilling a bigger hole in the harmonic ballancer too. There are many pitfalls to that but I've seen it done in a diesel shop. I've also seen harmonic ballancers tack welded to cranks without threads. But that is VERY chancey since it can easily burn the crank seal and cause the crank to loose it's hardness.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Sep 2014 at 08:18 am.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Can you wobble the socket side to side with the extension? Or just the extension. The slide hammer is a good idea to try if you can get a tight grip on the socket hole. Might have to do it a few times if it slips out. Use penetrating oil on the out side. Oh and welcome to the forum.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Sep 2014, 08:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Because a 1/4" extension is weak on the end, due to the cavity inside for the spring and ballbearing, I am not surprised it broke. I have done this a few times when trying to put lots of torque on them.

Perhaps you might try getting a hardened bolt and grinding down the end to 1/4'' and then trying to use it on your impact gun to spin it out? I am not sure if the bolt will get soft when you grind on it to shape it. Its just a thought. If the bolt breaks when its in the socket you may be even worse off..

I might be inclined to drill it out as others have mentioned.

Last edited by myckee; 28 Sep 2014 at 08:53 am.
Closed Thread