PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My '07 is eating heater cores!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2014, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My '07 is eating heater cores!

Hi everyone, I have yet another heater core question. I've scanned the threads, but haven't found an answer to this particular issue.

My '07 Touring has over 138k miles, and currently has its 5th cracked HC this year. I had the first one fixed in February, after the usual symptom of my windshield fogging up. Things were fine, I thought. I started smelling coolant shortly afterwards, but thought it might have been residual "burnoff" from the repair. I heard bubbling after turning off the ignition, again I didn't think much of it (but knew I'd have to get it checked out). In may, the vapors and the drips began, and I got another HC. At the end of June, the same symptoms started up and I got another one. End of July, that one cracked and I got another one. Beginning of this month, the vapors began again, and I was ready to drive the car off a cliff.

My local garage has replaced them all (& they've all been Chrysler parts) and says they've run tests to figure out what might be happening, but hasn't found a solution. They've sent me to a Chrysler dealer, having pretty much washed their hands of what's clearly a huge pain in the neck for them. The dealer is all set to "take a look", but I want them to communicate with the garage to find out what all was done before I start shelling out more money to be possibly told - again - "we have no idea what's wrong". Neither has been all that inclined to follow up, so I'm ready to go someplace new altogether.

I did see in one of the thread replies something about new HC's leaking and sometimes requiring a solder, but I wasn't sure about the details of that. The maintenance people all seem to be perplexed about this problem. What could be causing it? Is there anything I need to do once it's replaced? Is there something I need to tell the mechanics to look for? I'm at a loss and would appreciate any info at all.

Thanks!
Rhonda
Old 29 Sep 2014, 06:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: My '07 is eating heater cores!

Honestly I have no idea either, 5 cores in a year...seems like it must be some kind of instillation problem.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 29 Sep 2014, 07:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the the motor mounts are in good shape If they are shot. Could be the heater hoses being pulled on by the rocking of the motor. JMG
UptownSport and JoeX like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 02 Nov 2014 at 01:43 pm.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you both for your feedback! I'm kinda hoping it's an installation issue, and that it'll just take someone else putting it in correctly to fix it! :-) I will also have my motor mounts checked, though. I so appreciate it and will keep you posted!

Rhonda
Old 29 Sep 2014, 10:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmarc View Post

I did see in one of the thread replies something about new HC's leaking and sometimes requiring a solder, but I wasn't sure about the details of that.
Thanks!
Rhonda
i wrote that. the problem i was describing is brand new heater cores leaking right from the factory, specifically the ones from murrays discount auto/o'reillys. i would not expect that to have anything to do with your car

Last edited by rob342; 30 Sep 2014 at 06:43 am.
Old 01 Oct 2014, 09:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, rob342, I couldn't remember who said it! I read so many posts about HC, only a few details popped out here and there. Thanks for clarifying :-)
rob342 likes this.
Old 01 Oct 2014, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm wondering if your local garage has replaced the heater core. It is a huge PITA.
Did you request to see the old core to figure what was wrong? Surely after the second one that should have occurred to you or them to figure out what was going on.
How does coolant look? Open radiator cap and look for added goop (sealer) they may have thrown in.
Ray_Dockrey likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Oct 2014, 07:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wonder if the garage really did replace the heater coil so many times or just keep adding sealer hoping to seal the leak.
Old 01 Oct 2014, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I wonder if the garage really did replace the heater coil so many times or just keep adding sealer hoping to seal the leak.
Are you channeling me?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Oct 2014, 09:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Are you channeling me?
Oops! Too many hours at work and skipping words

Quicksilverdon I see you gave me the clue and I just spelled it out