PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to install and adjust timing belt tensioner

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Sep 2014, 02:50 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 20
Question How to install and adjust timing belt tensioner

I've been searching everywhere for details on how to properly install and adjust
the timing belt tensioner on a 2.4L PT cruiser.

Most discussions refer to a pin that should be installed on a new tensioner (not on mine).

Other discussions state to insert an allen key to relax tensioner during installation, then remove it once the belt is installed. I cannot see how this would be done.

I do not see any reference to the 13mm bolt on the front side, and a plate with a 1/4" square hole in it and an arrow pointing in a counter clockwise position. My guess is that this is what I use for the adjustment.... BUT I'd rather be certain.

Please help
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Sep 2014, 07:35 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: How to install and adjust timing belt tensioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemechanic View Post
I've been searching everywhere for details on how to properly install and adjust
the timing belt tensioner on a 2.4L PT cruiser.

Most discussions refer to a pin that should be installed on a new tensioner (not on mine).

Other discussions state to insert an allen key to relax tensioner during installation, then remove it once the belt is installed. I cannot see how this would be done.

I do not see any reference to the 13mm bolt on the front side, and a plate with a 1/4" square hole in it and an arrow pointing in a counter clockwise position. My guess is that this is what I use for the adjustment.... BUT I'd rather be certain.

Please help
No instructions in the box? Here is a pic of the line up of that type tensioner. You are looking ot the 1st design instructions HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Sep 2014, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 20
Default Re: How to install and adjust timing belt tensioner

Thanks Busted... A picture tells a thousand words
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04 Oct 2014, 06:07 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NEPA
Posts: 73
Default Re: How to install and adjust timing belt tensioner

Did the above pictured installation work out fine? I'm installing the exact tensioner but it will turn further clockwise as shown in my pic. I think it is wrong but worried the setting you pointed out earlier may be too loose - I don't have instructions as it was put in originally by the po. it also sems as if it should engage the aluminum tensioner bracket by going upward 3/16 inch or so. The Haynes isnt clear on what the correct tension should look like and this style isn't the typical it seems - help !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2640.jpg (85.3 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04 Oct 2014, 06:27 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: How to install and adjust timing belt tensioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbuggy View Post
Did the above pictured installation work out fine? I'm installing the exact tensioner but it will turn further clockwise as shown in my pic. I think it is wrong but worried the setting you pointed out earlier may be too loose - I don't have instructions as it was put in originally by the po. it also sems as if it should engage the aluminum tensioner bracket by going upward 3/16 inch or so. The Haynes isnt clear on what the correct tension should look like and this style isn't the typical it seems - help !
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automo...87_pt_03_1.jpg

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/att...ng-timing2.jpg

Hope this helps.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04 Oct 2014, 06:32 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NEPA
Posts: 73
Default Re: How to install and adjust timing belt tensioner

nope but thanks that is the info I found in the Haynes -This must be the second revision type of tensioner I hear talk about ? Also I don't think the 220 ft lbs sounds right for a 13mm bolt
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04 Oct 2014, 06:53 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: How to install and adjust timing belt tensioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbuggy View Post
nope but thanks that is the info I found in the Haynes -This must be the second revision type of tensioner I hear talk about ? Also I don't think the 220 ft lbs sounds right for a 13mm bolt
You are using the second design. just like the pics I posted. 01 and I believe 02 used the 1st design. Are you sure it's not Inch pounds. Line the tang as pictured.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04 Oct 2014, 10:43 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NEPA
Posts: 73
Default Re: How to install and adjust timing belt tensioner

So from rest then it would be turned maybe 3/4 of a turn to get where the original pic you recommend shows it.
I kept going until you see it in my pic. just a little more than that and it goes back to zero tension and you have to start over.
and yes you are right - after rereading it is 220 ''inch'' lbs - don't worry I didn't attempt to crank on it : )
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
timing belt tensioner neuner Tech & Performance Forum 3 08 Jul 2014 01:38 pm
Timing Belt Tensioner ? SteveG22 Tech & Performance Forum 11 19 Sep 2012 12:46 am
Timing belt tensioner? unioncreek Tech & Performance Forum 1 20 Jul 2012 12:00 pm
Timing belt tensioner slimjonesy General PT Cruiser Discussions 0 19 Mar 2011 06:35 pm
Timing Belt Tensioner 06ptbruiser Tech & Performance Forum 11 31 Dec 2010 10:39 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors