PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Extreme Air Intake Noise?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2014, 01:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Extreme Air Intake Noise?

Several days ago I purchased a 2007 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. I have come to realize that the sound of air being sucked into a four cylinder should not be that loud. The noise is loud even under light acceleration or whenever there is even a slight load above cruising the noise is noticeable.
I was reading some of the posts and seen some mention of that noise on aftermarket air filters and related components.
If my Cruiser had a aftermarket setup like that I wouldn't mind it so much. The problem is that it is making that sound as if there is nothing attached to the throttle body. Just pulling air in directly. Of course it is all there.
What could be making this noise with the stock air cleaner setup? It is not the noise that bothers me so much its the fact that it shouldn't be there.
I did a code scan and replaced the input and output transmission sensors and the crankshaft position sensor. There was a slight issue with shifting and when pulling off from a dead spot. That seems to have been resolved but the loud intake of air sound didn't change.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 03:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Extreme Air Intake Noise?

Examine the air intake carefully. Open up the airbox, make sure there's an air filter and look for holes or tears. look at the hose going to throttle for holes/tears.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Sep 2014, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

if its hooked up to the air box and
IF there is a filter and
IF tjhere are no other holes or tears and
IF the clamps are tight

Then you have a verry odd problem cause its a really short hose from the air intake to the engin.

(not like the old days when we would turn the air filter cover upside down to get that MEAN SOUND of sucking air)
Old 29 Sep 2014, 04:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Look up under the front left front wheel well. If the panel for headlight bulbs access is missing, you will hear more noise.
Danny7627 and cblucas like this.
Old 30 Sep 2014, 05:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

I didn't notice any difference really ..I used an airraid setup
Old 01 Oct 2014, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Still no help. Fender well is okay and am still having the noise. I found what I believe to be a silencer at a local salvage yard but it did not fit my Cruiser. The dealer is no help either but then they ordered and sold me a headlight socket when I asked for the turn signal socket. They also couldn't get me a engine cover. The one that says DOHC and 16V on it.
There has to be someone in the Chrysler corporation that knows about these silencers and how I can obtain one.

Last edited by cblucas; 09 Oct 2014 at 12:08 pm.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 12:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well not having much luck but I am beginning to think it is a exhaust leak. I have never heard of one sounding like this in all of my years as a mechanic professionally and shade tree.
I removed the hose that sits between the air cleaner box and the TB and took it for a ride. I would have assumed that there would have been a difference in the sound that I am experiencing but there was not. Then only sound that it gained was when I opened the throttle above 3/4 and then the intake sound was there which would be normal. So I put it back together.
Another thing is the sound is coming more to the passenger side of the vehicle and there is some exhaust noise at the tail pipe indicating a worn muffler. Anyhow I put the car on ramps and since everything is so cramped with this car I could not find the source of the exhaust leak if there is one.
I have just never heard an exhaust leak sound like a 4 banger under heavy acceleration.
I still welcome any ideas.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 12:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you checked to see if the catalytic converter is bad. broken catalyst inside could be plugging the exhaust causing exhaust noise. Is your gas mileage going down?
Old 14 Oct 2014, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Extreme Air Intake Noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rcruiser View Post
I didn't notice any difference really ..I used an airraid setup
The AirRaid set up on soonercruiser was definitely louder, and I liked it!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually went to a muffler shop yesterday. They inspected the entire exhaust and found nothing. It was suggested that the noise could be resonating from a engine mount or torque link with worn rubber. It does sound like that and what is stranger is you can't hear in outside. Only inside the vehicle is it pronounced. That is what is making it so hard to track down. When inside it sounds like it is in the area of the torque and pencil bar under the hood on the passenger side. I have put pressure on the exhaust to see if it made any kind of sound difference. Nothing changes the way it sounds. It sounds like a four cylinder under heavy acceleration without any air filter or housing in the air intake pathway but all of that checks out. This is really driving me crazy. I could see how some suspension part is vibrating the frame which gets amplified inside. It definitly is engine speed related and not vehicle speed. It is worse under accleration but is always present even at a cruising speed of 25 MPH and as fast as 75 MPH. Have not gone faster.
Anyone out there please help. I believe the car has been wrecked. There is evidence of parts from a different cruiser. For instance there is fog light holes but no fog lights and no way to turn them on if there was lights present.

Tags
acceleration, air intake, filter, noisy, stock air cleaner