Advertisements
Rear hatch doesnt open

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Oct 2014, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear hatch doesnt open

Hi. Im new here.
On my 01 cruiser the rear liftgate doesnt open. The handle feels like its disconnected inside. Is there an easy way to remove panel with damaging it with the lift gate closed?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Oct 2014 at 04:31 pm. Reason: Changed cruiser from 91 to 01
Old 04 Oct 2014, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear hatch doesnt open

Is there a release pin or something at the top of the panel that you can see that would allow you to pull the top of the panel off a little to get inside and release the hatch lock?
Old 04 Oct 2014, 04:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i believe by pin they mean the stupid plastic push lock clip that holds the inside cover on

Rear Hatch Won't Open
mujica likes this.
Old 03 Nov 2014, 10:01 am
Young Cruiser

I've got an 08 PT with the same problem. I took the back panel off and can manually move the linkage at the coil to open the rear hatch. How do I troubleshoot this? It's either the little switch under the handle or the coil itself down by the lock. I suspect it's the handle switch, but not sure... The prices are the dealer are pretty outragios, 154.00 for the handle swich and 185.00 for the coil lock assembly. They want another $145. to install.
Matt
Old 03 Nov 2014, 10:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemat View Post
I've got an 08 PT with the same problem. I took the back panel off and can manually move the linkage at the coil to open the rear hatch. How do I troubleshoot this? It's either the little switch under the handle or the coil itself down by the lock. I suspect it's the handle switch, but not sure... The prices are the dealer are pretty outragios, 154.00 for the handle swich and 185.00 for the coil lock assembly. They want another $145. to install.
Matt

If your remote doesn't trigger the lock, I'd say it's the power lock assembly.
My handle doesn't work on my 2006, but I have the key lock to get it open...this was removed in 2008. However, when unlocking the hatch by button or power locks has no effect. I bypassed my handle with a push button & had no effect...the next step is to replace the lock assembly itself...but these are hard to find for G2 models (2006-2010).

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 03 Nov 2014 at 10:56 am.
Old 03 Nov 2014, 12:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Hello Lion,

Unfortunately in the last year my wife has managed to loose both remotes. I have a plain key with the chip in it. There are remotes at zPep Boys which are supposed to work on all Chrysler product, I might try one of those.
If the hatch doesn't unlock using the lock button in the front door, it sounds like it might be the lock and coil, do I have that right? Is there a fuse for it?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 03 Nov 2014, 12:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemat View Post
Hello Lion,

Unfortunately in the last year my wife has managed to loose both remotes. I have a plain key with the chip in it. There are remotes at zPep Boys which are supposed to work on all Chrysler product, I might try one of those.
If the hatch doesn't unlock using the lock button in the front door, it sounds like it might be the lock and coil, do I have that right? Is there a fuse for it?
Thanks,
Matt

No fuse. Here is my own thread about this...
2006 Power Lock Question
Asillem4 likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 Nov 2014, 01:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks...
Old 29 Dec 2014, 09:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Rear hatch doesnt open

I have the same problem. Just purchased a 2009 and the touch pad no longer responds to open the liftgate. This car has no key cylinder on the liftgate to manually open it. We also have a 2001 with a mechanical liftgate latch handle.

Is there a procedure to remove the inside panel to access the lock mechanism to manually open the door? I do not see any places to access the mounting hardware and don't want to damage the inside panel since it is in like new condition (car has only 47K miles on it).

On a side note, can I replace the touch pad liftgate release with the older mechanical version by replacing the entire handle and "chrome wings". I prefer the mechanical release over the electronic touch pad.

Thanks!
Z
2001 PT Inferno Red
2009 PT Stone White
Old 29 Dec 2014, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaboha View Post
I have the same problem. Just purchased a 2009 and the touch pad no longer responds to open the liftgate. This car has no key cylinder on the liftgate to manually open it. We also have a 2001 with a mechanical liftgate latch handle.

Is there a procedure to remove the inside panel to access the lock mechanism to manually open the door? I do not see any places to access the mounting hardware and don't want to damage the inside panel since it is in like new condition (car has only 47K miles on it).

On a side note, can I replace the touch pad liftgate release with the older mechanical version by replacing the entire handle and "chrome wings". I prefer the mechanical release over the electronic touch pad.

Thanks!
Z
2001 PT Inferno Red
2009 PT Stone White
Look up ptprice he just went through this with his second gen. Far as the swap the latch part of thr closure is made different were it latches You'll just have to try it. Unless someone has knowledge of it being done already.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com