PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Recommended Brand and part # for 2007 PT Cruiser motor mounts

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2014, 11:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Recommended Brand and part # for 2007 PT Cruiser motor mounts

Hi all....I need to replace the upper and lower motor mounts on my 2007 PT cruiser (4 door base model, automatic)... After searching the forum, it seems that this is one of the less reliable OEM parts...

Can anybody recommend a quality replacement reasonably priced brand/part # that might provide better reliability?

I'm also trying to get a look at the transmission mount, but not sure where it is and how to inspect it.... any tips/pictures to help with this one?

Thanks
Old 05 Oct 2014, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Recommended Brand and part # for 2007 PT Cruiser motor mounts

I have found out that some aftermarket upper and lower torque struts have larger bolt holes and can possibly create unnecessary vibration after installing the torque struts. I would suggest measuring the inside diameter of the bolt holes on the torque struts if you are going to buy aftermarket torque struts. I got mine from the Chrysler dealer. Now that I have the original upper and lower torque struts in my hands I might consider after market torque struts if I can measure the aftermarket torque struts before buying them knowing what the inside diameters should be.

The transmission mount is under the battery support plate. You will need to take out the battery and remove the battery support plate to get good access to the transmission mount. I would suggest you know what you are doing before loosening up the transmission mount and the center motor mount.
Old 05 Oct 2014, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks.... I did notice in my reading that the center motor mount rarely fails.

Is the same true for the Transmission mount?
Old 05 Oct 2014, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe that one factor that might effect the center motor mount and the transmission mount is when the engine torque struts are not replaced immediately when necessary. There are many factors but it would take too long to list them all. If you have not had any experience replacing the center motor mount or the transmission mount I would advice getting help from someone who is qualified to do this.
Old 05 Oct 2014, 01:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

I realize that a Dodge Neon is not a Chrysler PT Cruiser but the motor and transmission mounts are interchangeable.

I also know from your other thread that you have finished the job.

I recently replaced all the motor mounts and transmission mount on our '05 neon. It is a true bitch to replace the center motor mount. You will have to jack up the engine and lower it down to get all the bolts out then I had to remove the power steering pump and the belt tensioner plate to get the center mount out.

Putting it back in took a lot of cursing and my younger brothers help.

The motor mounts and the transmission mount really didn't look that bad but replacing them did make the bad rrrrr noise it had been making when driving, go away.

On the neon just getting to the transmission mount was a pretty rough row to hoe. We had to remove the plate that the battery was sitting on to get it out. Fortunately I had just bought a little 1/4” air driven ratchet so it wasn't that bad. For some reason Chrysler corporation really likes to put in a 4” bolt where something much shorter will do. I probably would still be unscrewing those bolts if not for the air wrench.

The bolts for the battery plate go into threaded spots on the fender and are open behind so air can get to them. This caused them to rust enough that you cant just turn them with your fingers.

I saw, online, where folks had been using a 3M windshield glue to fill in the spaces on the top and bottom struts so I decided to do that with the old ones. I don't know if this will help them out or not but I have them on hand if the noise should come back.

I got the glue from a seller on eBay. It was easier to use than I though it would be. On the site where I saw this being done the fellows just barely filled open the spaces in the rubber. Since I got several tubes of the stuff mine are now completely filled in.

The Neon has just under 200,000 miles on it and I don't really expect it to live much longer the way the kid drives it but I might end up needing them on the convertible.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 05 Oct 2014 at 01:24 pm.
Old 05 Oct 2014, 03:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9VQF View Post
I realize that a Dodge Neon is not a Chrysler PT Cruiser but the motor and transmission mounts are interchangeable.

I also know from your other thread that you have finished the job.

I recently replaced all the motor mounts and transmission mount on our '05 neon. It is a true bitch to replace the center motor mount. You will have to jack up the engine and lower it down to get all the bolts out then I had to remove the power steering pump and the belt tensioner plate to get the center mount out.

Putting it back in took a lot of cursing and my younger brothers help.

The motor mounts and the transmission mount really didn't look that bad but replacing them did make the bad rrrrr noise it had been making when driving, go away.

On the neon just getting to the transmission mount was a pretty rough row to hoe. We had to remove the plate that the battery was sitting on to get it out. Fortunately I had just bought a little 1/4 air driven ratchet so it wasn't that bad. For some reason Chrysler corporation really likes to put in a 4 bolt where something much shorter will do. I probably would still be unscrewing those bolts if not for the air wrench.

The bolts for the battery plate go into threaded spots on the fender and are open behind so air can get to them. This caused them to rust enough that you cant just turn them with your fingers.

I saw, online, where folks had been using a 3M windshield glue to fill in the spaces on the top and bottom struts so I decided to do that with the old ones. I don't know if this will help them out or not but I have them on hand if the noise should come back.

I got the glue from a seller on eBay. It was easier to use than I though it would be. On the site where I saw this being done the fellows just barely filled open the spaces in the rubber. Since I got several tubes of the stuff mine are now completely filled in.

The Neon has just under 200,000 miles on it and I don't really expect it to live much longer the way the kid drives it but I might end up needing them on the convertible.

Can you give me a better detail of what you mean by bad rrrrr noise? Was there any less vibration after you replaced the center motor mount and transmission motor mount?
Old 05 Oct 2014, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemechanic View Post
Thanks.... I did notice in my reading that the center motor mount rarely fails.

Is the same true for the Transmission mount?

Can you tell me what is making you look at the transmission mount?
Old 05 Oct 2014, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It just seemed logical to me that the Transmission mount may have issues too since both the upper & lower right mounts are toast
Old 05 Oct 2014, 09:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you just replace your timing belt and water pump?
Old 05 Oct 2014, 10:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep... Belt, Water Pump, Idler & Tensioner... Mounts are toast too