Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Square Hole tensioner help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2014, 01:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Square Hole tensioner help

Hi, I have the tensioner with the 1/4 drive. I'm setting it up with just the info I have been finding and have been given so far by my Cruiser friends here.

Here is where I am at. from rest position I turned the 1/4 drive of the pulley cam in the counter clockwise direction about 3/4 of a turn to this position (see pic). I lined the spring to the center of the inner moving tab.

Is this correct? there doesn't seem to be any printed instructions on this type so if anyone has it in their pile of paperwork perhaps you can post it here under this thread for me and other curious Cruisers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2641.jpg (86.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by glassbuggy; 05 Oct 2014 at 02:08 pm.
Old 05 Oct 2014, 02:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Square Hole tensioner help

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbuggy View Post
Hi, I have the tensioner with the 1/4 drive. I'm setting it up with just the info I have been finding and have been given so far by my Cruiser friends here.

Here is where I am at. from rest position I turned the 1/4 drive of the pulley cam in the counter clockwise direction about 3/4 of a turn to this position (see pic). I lined the spring to the center of the inner moving tab.

Is this correct? there doesn't seem to be any printed instructions on this type so if anyone has it in their pile of paperwork perhaps you can post it here under this thread for me and other curious Cruisers
That looks good to me. Rotate the marks and recheck. If still looks like the alignment is good. Crank it up and see if you have smooth acceleration.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Oct 2014, 02:40 pm
Young Cruiser

marks are spot on after several spins but the tensioner backed off a bit so i have to bring it up again. I was wondering if there is any specific marks that have to correspond. I'm making assumptions and that isn't cool in a belt job.
Old 05 Oct 2014, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbuggy View Post
marks are spot on after several spins but the tensioner backed off a bit so i have to bring it up again. I was wondering if there is any specific marks that have to correspond. I'm making assumptions and that isn't cool in a belt job.
Your are just checking that the marks are on and that the tensioner is still in proper adjustment. Which you said It did not do.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Oct 2014, 03:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I know from your other thread that you replaced the timing belt, but did you replace the tensioner pulley also..?? This might be your problem with why you can't get it set right.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 05 Oct 2014, 04:11 pm
Young Cruiser

cam sprockets were rubbing the upper cover when I bought it and it was running rough (no codes ) Kid said it had a belt/pump job a year ago which it does look to jive with that info. The upper torque strut was broke and not even connected and stressed the mid mount loosening it up and damaging its bolts - putting pressure on the upper cover causing the rub and squeal. I decided during the repair to check the marks bc it was running rough and sure enough it was off a tooth. A slight defect in the belt made me change it out. This is my last step but had no info on the way to set the tensioner. I'm familiar with the VW set up and they have an arrow and notch to gauge the proper position, I though this would have something similar. I have set this to your instructions and rotated the engine three complete times and have reset the tensioner again each time but its not as if it moved very much. Just trying to imitate your picture. I think its fine but this is my first PT and don't want to get it wrong
Old 05 Oct 2014, 04:24 pm
Young Cruiser

This picture shows where it comes to rest after a few spins, is this ok?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dd.jpg (87.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 05 Oct 2014, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would like to see a little more consistency but if it will remain in between the two outer points. You should be ok. Other opinions welcome here.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com