Advertisements
Power steering issue

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2014, 09:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Power steering issue

Hello all. I'm new here and I just bought a 2001 PT cruiser. The power steering is tight when I'm going slow as if there is no power steering. When I'm going fast at highway speeds the power steering is just fine. What could be the cause? I'm hoping I don't have to replace the PS pump because I've researched the work involved to do so. lol. But obviously I will if need be.
Any info that gets me in the right direction to fix the problem would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 07 Oct 2014, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power steering issue

Had to replace the PS pump on my 01 and there has been lots of owners that have done the same. Has you checked the fluid level in the canister? Also, see if you can get the car up on a rack and have someone turn the wheel lock-to-lock and see if there's anything that sticks out with the pump or rack that would indicate trouble.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Oct 2014, 09:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Level is low. I did add more fluid. I will get it up on a lift early next week to replace the brakes so I will check that out. Would you suggest that I replace the pump either way? I want to get the parts ahead of time so I am ready while I have it up on the lift to replace the brakes.
Other than the brakes and PS the car runs awesome.
Old 07 Oct 2014, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That's entirely up to you if you want to buy/replace the pump before it goes bad. It might last for years. Even when it blew on mine, I could still drive although it steered like a MAC truck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Oct 2014, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
That's entirely up to you if you want to buy/replace the pump before it goes bad. It might last for years. Even when it blew on mine, I could still drive although it steered like a MAC truck.
I've driven a Mack truck with no power steering. It's not too bad since the steering wheel is about two feet across and as long as you are not at a dead stand still. But if you are still, it's best to put your left foot up against the A-post and pull with both hands.

cruserdad1976 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Oct 2014 at 11:42 am.

Tags
power steering