PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 Turbo PT stalling when AC is on or hot outside

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2014, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2004 Turbo PT stalling when AC is on or hot outside

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and am hoping to get some help with a 2004 Pt cruiser Platinum Turbo with 85k miles on it. As of late the car has been stalling when it comes to a stop sign so I have had to rev it a bit to keep it going this seems to happen more frequent when the A/C is on.. now it is to a point that it stalls when the A/C is not on. One common factor is outside temp it has been really hot here 95 to 102. I had an idea of parking it in the garage to keep it cool so in the morning it runs perfectly fine but if its driven outside when the temp is high after a while of it either sitting in the sun or driving streets it can start to stall at low idle and if you kick the A/C on it starts to sputter as well. Took it to a mechanic who cleaned the IAC for me and hooked up to the computer to see what codes would pop when the car started to sputter the following came on and completely stumped him:

P0452, P0300, P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0508, P0032, P0038

He just replaced the two Oxygen sensors and the CPU reported them as bad so he checked them and they are reading perfectly. I am not a mechanic but I am good to give it a try money being tight these days I cannot afford another car right now..
Heat really is the common factor but the car is not showing a spike on the heat gauge at all. When it does start to stall the check engine light comes on and blinks then stays constant after a while. In the morning like I said as long as it is cool outside and no AC is running it works fine.. Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 07 Oct 2014, 02:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 Turbo PT stalling when AC is on or hot outside

get some one to clear the codes with a Scanner and see what comes back then work from there idf say maybe replace the cam sensor and the crank sensor to start with
Old 07 Oct 2014, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My mechanic cleared all the codes and all of these poped up. I was looking through the old posts and a guy had the same problem went through all the steps sensors and what not and eventually replaced the ECM / PCM / ECU and that halted the problem all together.. I am wondering if that is the case here that the computer is in need of replacement since it only seems to happen when its hot perhaps its crashing out
Old 07 Oct 2014, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i always thought that the computor had to be flashed to your car???? might be wrong yours is a turbo so its diffrent than my na
Old 07 Oct 2014, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I found this web site all you need to do is give them the VIN# and they flash it for the car

https://www.autocomputerexchange.com

Let me know what you think this is all new to me.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 12:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking all ground wires. Seems it could be poor electrical connections.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LqdTECH View Post
My mechanic cleared all the codes and all of these poped up. I was looking through the old posts and a guy had the same problem went through all the steps sensors and what not and eventually replaced the ECM / PCM / ECU and that halted the problem all together.. I am wondering if that is the case here that the computer is in need of replacement since it only seems to happen when its hot perhaps its crashing out
Possible, but if it isn't the cause, you're out the money and still have the problem.
NitroPT likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Oct 2014, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Possible, but if it isn't the cause, you're out the money and still have the problem.
Glad you posted this Don.

LqdTECH and I had a lengthy conversation today with perhaps a good line of action to resolve the problems?
Old 08 Oct 2014, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

lqdTECH,
Keep us posted on you find out.
Old 09 Oct 2014, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update: I have been speaking with Nitro he has been a huge help thus far thanks again bud. So I took out the IAC last night and the mechanic didnít clean it at all so I took the o rings off and sprayed it all down with carb cleaner (it was a pain to remove the screw all the normal household screw drivers were to long so I had to buy a star key set) let it dry and put it all back together. Drove about 20 min last night around 6:30pm it was cool outside. The car is running fine with a little rough idle and the RPMS start at 1000 but edge down to 900 then edge down again to around 850 then again to 700Ö the longer I sit at a stop light the lower it seems to go but not all at once it steps down in increments almost to 500 I would say it stops about 650 give or take.. the entire time I was driving I had the A/C on and the Radio (normal driving conditions) on side streets so a lot of stops. Nitro suggesting a possible BAD IAC so I am going to buy one this weekend and swap it out if it fixes the problem great if not I can always return the part. Nitro did explain at such low idle just turning could cause the car to stall and he is correct that has happened plenty of times. So maybe with the A/C on and the low idle and then the radiator fan kicking on when it gets hot just kills it. I will keep you guys posted..

Thanks again Nitro.