PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark plug question

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2014, 06:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Spark plug question

Hi all just changed the plugs in my 06 n/a and they were quite oily is that normal? And they were all white execpt one. I'll post a pick. Tell me what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.1 KB, 40 views)
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spark plug question

The insulator tip and center electrode seems to be OK. You might need some new well seals to stop the oil getting to where it shouldn't be.

boonie2 likes this.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 06:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Def. the well seals , mine looked exactly the same.. when i first bought the car i changed out the plugs and found maybe an inch of oil had leaked in
Old 10 Oct 2014, 07:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have more top electrode wear on the 2nd from top and the bottom one than the other 2...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Oct 2014, 07:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ok I'll order some well seals do you need to remove the head to change em?
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 07:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You have more top electrode wear on the 2nd from top and the bottom one than the other 2...
Is electrode wear a bad thing?
Old 10 Oct 2014, 08:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Naturally you would like it best if the electrode wear was even on all cylinders. It depends a lot on how many miles were on the engine or at least the particular set of spark plugs you have removed from your engine.

From what I can see in your picture the center two look to be cleaner than the others the three upper ones look to be more burned away than the bottom one.

As I recall you only recently bought this Cruiser. I don't suppose you know how many miles these plugs have on them. It will be interesting to see what the plugs look like when they need to be changed next time.

And no you don't have to remove the head to change the seals. You will have to remove the valve cover though. If any of the spark plug tubes have come loose you will need some rags and red locktite too. If the tubes are tight you can just put the seals in the valve cover and reinstall it.

There is a lot of stuff that has to come off first though like the intake manifold. Time consuming but not all that hard. You might want to get a new set of intake seals too. When I had mine off I decided the seals were alright and just put it all back together.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 10 Oct 2014 at 10:27 pm.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 09:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9VQF View Post
Naturally you would like it best if the electrode wear was even on all cylinders. It depends a lot on how many miles were on the engine or at least the particular set of spark plugs you have removed from your engine.

From what I can see in your picture the center two look to be cleaner than the others the three upper ones look to be more burned away than the bottom one.

As I recall you only recently bought this Cruiser. I don't suppose you know how many miles these plugs have on them. It will be interesting to see what the plugs look like when they need to be changed next time.

And no you don't have to remove the head to change the seals. You will have to remove the valve cover though. If any of the spark plug tubes have come loose you will need so rags and red locktite too. If the tubes are tight you can just put the seals in the valve cover and reinstall it.

There is a lot of stuff that has to come off first though like the intake manifold. Time consuming but not all that hard. You might want to get a new set of intake seals too. When I had mine off I decided the seals were alright and just put it all back together.

I have had the cruiser for 5 years now and these plugs have around 75k on them.
And wen u say spark plug tubes u mean the sleeve they sit down in?
Old 10 Oct 2014, 10:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crid View Post
I have had the cruiser for 5 years now and these plugs have around 75k on them.
And wen u say spark plug tubes u mean the sleeve they sit down in?
"spark plug well seals" in the diagram Crewzin posted above.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Oct 2014, 10:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes the spark plug wells are what I meant that may well be the correct name for them. The seals go in the valve cover and once the tubes are properly seated in the head the seal fits on the top of the tubes.

Even if none of the spark plug wells are loose in the head you will still have to remove the valve cover to put in the new seals.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 10 Oct 2014 at 11:21 pm.