• 1 Post By soyomb
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2014, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fuse Question

Question about the radiator fuse...

My car is overheating when I'm in stop and go traffic, fine out on the interstate. I'm assuming the fan is not kicking on as it should.

My question is...
In this picture, the top of that fuse is missing. Is that a problem? Any reason to think it's the culprit? Or is this a normal thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT.jpg (93.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 13 Oct 2014, 06:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Fuse Question

I would replace the fuse since the top of it is to keep moisture out. couldn't say if that's the problem, tho.

our cars tend to have a problem with the brushes going bad in the fan motor.
TheAstronomer likes this.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

on both counts. Replace the fuse (although it looks good from your picture) and your problem is most likely a bad fan speed due to burnt brushes in the fan motor. Once you get up to (about) 35mph, the fan would be turned off by the computer because there's enough air coming into the front of the engine to keep everything cool.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Gotcha... that makes sense why it seems fine as I cruise down the interstate. Sounds like signs point toward a bad fan, eh? Was hoping for an easy answer... hahaha
Old 13 Oct 2014, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What is year and mileage of your PT Cruiser?
What are the engine trouble codes or is your engine light not coming on?
Have you been adding coolant or water to your coolant system lately?
Old 13 Oct 2014, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's a 2001 with 193K miles on it. I currently have no check engine light coming on. I get the intermittent EGR Valve code but it's not on at the moment. I have not needed to had coolant except when it boiled it out when this issue stated. Everything seemed fine until I accelerated up a ramp on to the interstate. It didn't seem like it wanted to kick out of that passing gear back to just cruising. It did when I slowed down a little but it was different than normal. After that, I drove 10 minutes down the interstate, got off in to stop and go traffic and it got warm. When I finally got stopped in the parking lot, it was boiling the coolant out the overflow and making a big smelly mess. It's fine when I'm driving on a highway, hot when I'm in stop and go traffic.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 07:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I had that EGR problem like you describe. I fixed it by changing the EGR transducer. They have it at autozone and it's less than half the price of the EGR valve/transducer assembly. It's a connector and 2-3 vacuum lines. Easy to change, no tools required.

Just passing the info along. Good luck on the more important issues.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAstronomer View Post
It's a 2001 with 193K miles on it. I currently have no check engine light coming on. I get the intermittent EGR Valve code but it's not on at the moment. I have not needed to had coolant except when it boiled it out when this issue stated. Everything seemed fine until I accelerated up a ramp on to the interstate. It didn't seem like it wanted to kick out of that passing gear back to just cruising. It did when I slowed down a little but it was different than normal. After that, I drove 10 minutes down the interstate, got off in to stop and go traffic and it got warm. When I finally got stopped in the parking lot, it was boiling the coolant out the overflow and making a big smelly mess. It's fine when I'm driving on a highway, hot when I'm in stop and go traffic.
I would not drive it anymore until the overheating issue is fixed. If you do drive it you could have a potential blown head gasket and that is an expensive repair.
Do you know how to check the radiator fan?
Old 16 Oct 2014, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep... checked the radiator fan. It was completely dead. Couldn't get it to come on with direct power. Replaced it and all is well.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 09:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAstronomer View Post
Yep... checked the radiator fan. It was completely dead. Couldn't get it to come on with direct power. Replaced it and all is well.
Good for you. A head gasket would've been a lot worse.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles