Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PLEASE read! Looking for advice regarding TIPM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2014, 10:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PLEASE read! Looking for advice regarding TIPM

I know this is long. Can you please take a moment to review and give me some insight!

Chronological history of issues:
Purchase 2006 PT Cruiser from a used dealership in February 2014 with 97,000 miles. Car Fact showed 1 owner, no prior accidents, normal wear/tear and repairs maintained. Needed new rear tires.

In August while driving my car I noticed the indicator lights would all turn on and off while driving and while at a stop sign/light. The car would “Ding” as if I just opened the car door. Other than that it seemed to drive normal.

Later in the week the check engine light came on and the car started to drive odd. It wouldn’t shift (automatically). I would stop, turn it off then back on and it would drive okay for a bit. I took it to a Chrysler dealership on 8/19/14. They ran a diagnostic and two codes came up for a faulty PCM and TCM.

After a week dealing with the extended warranty company they finally agreed to “replace” the parts. They used refurbished parts.

I knew the car needed the Timing belt and water pump changed as well. Since the warranty company was covering the expense for the TCM and PCM I paid out of pocket for the Timing belt and water pump.

1 week post “repair” and new timing belt; while driving the radio went out then the indicator lights started malfunctioning again while driving. In a 10 min drive it happened roughly 6 times. It also tried to stall out. Took it back to the dealership where they ran diagnostic and the TCM was showing faulty.

Since they used a refurbished part at the requirement of my warranty company this time they used a MOPAR part; since the Chrysler dealership warranties their work for 12,000 miles and they stated it was now a "safety hazard" . On top of that, while at the shop the battery died and they said I had corroded battery cables. I paid out of pocket for a new battery and battery cables.

Received car back 8/29. I have driven 1000 miles and no issues. Over the weekend the indicator lights malfunctioned while driving. This time I had a friend in the vehicle with me and agreed I wasn’t losing my mind.

A few moments later the temperature gauge (for external temperature) plummeted to zero and slowly made the climb back up to normal temperature. I noticed the following days Sun-Tuesday the temperature wasn’t keeping up with correct external temps. It would be right when I would start the car. Then along a drive as the day heated up here in Georgia it would stay as it was when I entered the car. Example; started driving at 7am when temp is 56 outside; still driving around 11pm and the temp climbed outside to 70; however the car reflected the temp still stuck at 56.

With all of the above; and the time and money I put into the car I took it back to the dealer. They now have the car and ran diagnostic yet again. Now they are saying the code is for my brake switch is shorted out. I explained my frustration.

The mechanic drove my car for a day to see if they can get the indicator lights to malfunction again. Which it didn’t replicate of course! They are reaching out to my warranty company now to see if it will cover replacing the TIPM; total integrated power module.

Help me. Please tell me some of you can give me some insight here. I looked at multiple threads on malfunctioning indicator lights. Different explanations/suggestions such as wiring harness, battery, and ignition switch.

The dealership is stating they do not believe that any of those are causing the issue; since I replaced my battery and they are receiving codes that are leading them to believe it it’s the TIPM. Your thoughts? Experience? Suggestions?

Thank you for reading this, I know it is long!

Last edited by southerndharma; 15 Oct 2014 at 10:26 am.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PLEASE read! Looking for advice regarding TIPM

There are cases with symptoms similar to yours where the cure was the ignition switch.
Does your radio display also go out? That's another symptom.
Another possibility is the tilt steering wheel pulls on a connector - try re-positioning the steering wheel.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Oct 2014, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: PLEASE read! Looking for advice regarding TIPM

That happened once; the radio went out after they replaced the TCM and PCM with the refurbished parts. It went out right before the indicator lights went on and off 6 times. Then they replaced the TCM again with the MOPAR part.

Tags
2006 pt cruiser, tipm