Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please help! Mystery Misfire!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2014, 07:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Please help! Mystery Misfire!!

Ok, Im almost out of hair because of this one. Ive had 12 or 13 PT Cruisers, and I consider myself quite knowledgeable on these, but never had the problems I am experiencing with this one. It's a 2001. I replaced the headgasket. Head was severely warped, so I replaced head with a good one and another gasket. Also has new timing belt in perfect time. Car was running excellent. Had it running without belts on it just to make sure everything was A1 before I completed it. I was running it to get it to operating temp to make sure it wouldn't overheat or anything. I gave it a decent rev and all the sudden it has a horrible misfire. HORRIBLE!! Throughout the entire RPM range. The battery voltage did drop without the alternator belt on, so my thoughts are maybe killed the PCM? It has driven me nuts. I have replaced the following:
Coil Pack
Plugs
Wires
EGR Valve
Upper and Lower Intakes
Throttle Body with Sensors
Purge Solenoid
Injectors and rail

Im getting No Codes. Smells VERY rich and exhaust putts. Judging by the plugs, Im guessing Im barely getting fire to cyl 2 and 3. They were clean but after 5 mins of running they are pure black. but they were dry when pulled. 1 and 4 are still clean. Car wont even idle on its own unless I pull a vacuum.
Pulled the head off, checked for blown gasket, checked valves, checked everything and it was perfect. Nothing apparently wrong with the head, cyls, block, or anything. Put it back together. Exactly the same symptoms. Its been a long night! I know youre going to say Compression test! I will do that today. I had no access to one last night, but Im willing to bet it has perfect compression.

Thanks for any input. Im sick of throwing parts at this thing. Luckily I already have them!
Old 17 Oct 2014, 08:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please help! Mystery Misfire!!

Long shot here. But have you checked the the line up pin on the cam didn't break and let a cam rotate out of time. Happens if the cam bolts gets under torqued. Marks would still appear to line up. There are holes in the cams that point straight up when you're in time.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Oct 2014, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I find it very hard to believe no DTC.

If some understood what the purpose of the diagnostic port (connector) was for. Oh wait the DIAGNOSTIC port?

Unless there is connector damage at the OBDII or PCM or the wiring to either was damaged than there will be DTC(s).

START with that!

And this:

PT problems read this FIRST
Old 17 Oct 2014, 08:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What NitroPT says above! We can think of hundreds of ideas that would cause the problem but until we get the engine trouble codes we are flying blind.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 17 Oct 2014 at 08:45 am.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Lets see what D&D Mystic Auto Repair says?
Old 17 Oct 2014, 04:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Lets see what D&D Mystic Auto Repair says?
Old 17 Oct 2014, 04:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
What NitroPT says above! We can think of hundreds of ideas that would cause the problem but until we get the engine trouble codes we are flying blind.
Good point. If he's not getting any codes, it could very well be the PCM. My PT died while idling and I couldn't figure out what the deal was. I couldn't get any codes or anything, so I had it towed to my mech. He ran tests and found out my pcm stopped working once it got too hot. I bought an aftermarket one (calibrated) and he replaced it. It's working legit now.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 17 Oct 2014, 06:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is the battery fully charged now? Many folks report gremlins with a low battery.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Oct 2014, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The PCM does throw codes for other things like the temp sensor when I unplug it. But no misfire codes. But when its running its very rich. Havent driven it like this. Only let it run for up to 20 or so mins. Maybe why no codes. It runs horrible. Is there a ground anywhere that will affect the wire that feeds 2 & 3 on the coil pack? I may have damaged something in the wiring or pcm, who knows!
Old 17 Oct 2014, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Is the battery fully charged now? Many folks report gremlins with a low battery.
Yes batt is good now. With Alternator belt on!