PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0456-P0457 error codes

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2014, 10:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0456-P0457 error codes

First let me say that I love this site and come here often for advice on my cruiser. I have a 2005 Touring that I just picked up about a month ago, and love it. I have changed the belts, and went to full synthetic oil. (just some history). Today I got plugs and wires, and changed them thanks to a post on here . after that, I am getting a P0456 error code on the dash. Dont have a code puller, just turn the key 3 times, and get the codes from there.

Right after I got the car, I was getting a P0457 error code which is gas cap, and I replaced that with one from Oriely's. The car seems to run fine and I even get good gas mileage. Is there anything to be worried about getting those two codes>?

BTW thanks for all the help you guys have provided. First Post from me
Old 17 Oct 2014, 11:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: P0456-P0457 error codes

I've had my 2006 since June and can't seem to get rid of P0457. I've checked hoses from tank to engine & replaced the gas cap twice from the dealer. It's mostly just an annoyance for me, I clear the code about every 4-5 days.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Oct 2014, 01:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would sugggest you check the fuel cap to make sure it is tight and the seal is not cracked.
If its okay then check the filler neck where the cap seals to it for rust or cracks.
If that checks out okay check all the rubber hoses for the evap system for cracks and leaks. As LionPT says to check the hoses going to the engine. You might have a leak there from someone bumping into a rubber hose working on the engine.
Then if you cannot find any problems with the above you will need to have the Evap system smoke tested for leaks. It is very hard to find a pin size hole in the EVAP system and the only way to really find where it is is to have the Evap system smoke test done.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Oct 2014 at 01:50 am.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 07:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would sugggest you check the fuel cap to make sure it is tight and the seal is not cracked.
If its okay then check the filler neck where the cap seals to it for rust or cracks.
If that checks out okay check all the rubber hoses for the evap system for cracks and leaks. As LionPT says to check the hoses going to the engine. You might have a leak there from someone bumping into a rubber hose working on the engine.
Then if you cannot find any problems with the above you will need to have the Evap system smoke tested for leaks. It is very hard to find a pin size hole in the EVAP system and the only way to really find where it is is to have the Evap system smoke test done.
Ok thanks for the info. Is it ok to still drive it while I try to find where the leak is coming from?
Old 18 Oct 2014, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathonparker View Post
Ok thanks for the info. Is it ok to still drive it while I try to find where the leak is coming from?
Yes.
It is for emissions control of gas vapors - older cars didn't have such controls.
LionPT likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Oct 2014, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The Evap system was designed to keep you from running around venting gas fumes into the atmosphere. Anything to do with gas or gas fumes is dangerous in my opinion. I would suggest fixing the problem immediately. You may not know the history of everything that has been done to the PT Cruiser before you bought it a month ago.

Never leave the car running when you are filling up the gas tank and if you do it it could trigger the check engine light on . The tank pressure to atmospheric pressure will change as soon as you take the gas cap off with the engine running thinking there is a leak that could cause gas fumes to leak out.

Don't overfill the gas tank. The gas can back up into the Evap system and cause issues. I have always calculated how much gas to put in my gas tank without filling it up completely.

If you keep driving around with the engine light on you will miss the next problem that occurs and that could make the diagnosis extremely hard with 2 or more problems at the same time. You could be causing damage to something else thinking its just the original problem.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Oct 2014 at 11:08 am.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 11:31 am
Cool Cruiser

I would like to suggest you buy a proper OBDII code reader. AutoZone has one for just under $60.00 and if you have a Harbor Freight store in your town you can get a CAN/OBDII reader for a bit more money and it is backlit and has the code definitions onboard.

I bought the cheap one from AutoZone when I got mine, it does a good job for me but its kind of a PITA to carry around the little book with the code definitions in it.

So far it has not failed to read or clear a code for me though.

I also bought a blutooth adaptor from eBay that works with a smart phone or a tablet. when I use it with my tablet I still have to be close to a wifi hotspot to be able to get the code definitions but with a smart enough phone like my daughter carries I get the definitions on screen.

My younger brother has a very pricy Snap On brand scanner that many times can not read the code causing the check engine light on vehicles where mine will. You can not use the tool to clear a code if it does not read it.

We came to the conclusion that the scanner might be defective so he bought one from Harbor Freight.

When I was getting the P0457 code on my HHR the dealer said it was a probably a leak in the evapline that goes from the tank to the engine and it would cost me $150.00 for them to test it and around $1500.00 to have them fix it.

I went online and found that it might just be as simple as the gas cap not sealing correctly. There is a charcoal canister under the HHR that is easy to replace by the average home mechanic too and is a pretty cheap fix but I tried the cheapest way first.

I replaced the gas cap but the code came back on my way home from AutoZone. When I looked at things a little closer I noticed a fine coating of rust on the rim of the gas fill hole. I took my palm sander and a disk of 160 grit sand paper out to the car, poked a rag in the fill hole and sanded the metal down to a nice bit of shiny steel, then coated it with wheel bearing grease.

This fixed the problem, its been around two years now and I have not gotten the code again.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 18 Oct 2014 at 11:41 am.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Yes.
It is for emissions control of gas vapors - older cars didn't have such controls.
No your right they had more
manufactured american cars circa77-85!

The fuel tank has many componets that can not be accessed without removal of the fuel tank.

Your problem really needs to be diagnosed with someone that understands emission systems and the componets and having experience with the use of a scan tool and pressure/vacuum testers and physically have your PT to work on
Old 18 Oct 2014, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well cleared my computer, with taking off the negitive battery cable last night, and the same codes have not shown. I now had another code, P0440 which is EVAP System Failure. I had my father in law hook his solis computer up too it and he reset the code and i tightened the air intake down tighter, (Changed the plugs yesterday) gonna see what happens
Old 18 Oct 2014, 05:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathonparker View Post
Well *cleared my computer, with taking off the negitive battery cable last night, and the same codes have not shown. I now had another code, P0440 which is EVAP System Failure. I had my father in law hook his solis computer up too it and he reset the code and i tightened the air intake down tighter, (Changed the plugs yesterday) gonna see what happens
This does NOT clear the codes. You only temporarily turned off the DTC indicator light from the dash.

I wish PT Cruisers owners would realize this. Where in the world did this * incorrect information ever get started?

The only way to properly clear codes is with a scan tool

And you re-set the I/M readiness file which is different from clearing DTC codes.

Correct wording with procedures is important for the next person reading this information!

Last edited by NitroPT; 18 Oct 2014 at 05:09 pm.