PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with overheated engine

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2014, 01:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Help with overheated engine

I have a 2001 PT BASE with 99000 miles, after an overheating I bought a used head from somebody who told me it was from a 2002 PT for a 2.4L.
The engine starts unstable though and when I connect the camshaft sensor stops working.
Are all the camshaft the same?
My mecanic told me He thinks the camsensor could not be picking up because of a different camshaft..
Can somebody help?
Thank you

Last edited by CREWZIN; 20 Oct 2014 at 01:51 pm.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help with overheated engine

The 2001 PT Cruiser head has a port for the EGR valve. Many of the 2002 models do not have an EGR valve and there is no port in the head. So you will have a permanent EGR problem if this is the case.

Also, it appears that both the 2001 and 2002 PT Cruisers use the 04781679AB exhaust camshaft and the 04781678AA intake camshaft.

There is supposed to be a pilot magnet beneath the sensor. Make sure it's there. Try the one off the 2001 head.

Old 21 Oct 2014, 03:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i have a 2002. it has EGR.

if i unplug my cam sensor, my car will not start, run, or move. period. this is how it SHOULD be on your car.

since you have the opposite situation, try swapping the cam and coil connectors. supposedly they are the same and people mix them up.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 09:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
2003 & up went to 'NGC' and changed cam magnet & alignment hole in end of intake cam.

Other wise, 2.4 cams are functionally same. The 2.0 cam is different, but that's a bit off-topic.

I find it hard to believe you don't have a massive leak, MOST '01 blocks need the '01 head- That won't cause what you're explaining, though. Likely the NGC thing
Old 22 Oct 2014, 07:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

if i unplug my cam sensor, my car will not start, run, or move. period. this is how it SHOULD be on your car.

since you have the opposite situation, try swapping the cam and coil connectors. supposedly they are the same and people mix them up.
My '02 PT had EGR, also.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Oct 2014, 08:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

2002=EGR AFAIK.

Connectors are same, but engine wouldn't run at all if swapped.
Some years will run without cam sensors, Neons it was the same thing, some would, some wouldn't
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
I have a 2001 PT BASE with 99000 miles, after an overheating I bought a used head from somebody who told me it was from a 2002 PT for a 2.4L.
The engine starts unstable though and when I connect the camshaft sensor stops working.
My mecanic told me He thinks the camsensor could not be picking up because of a different camshaft..
Can somebody help?
Thank you
When and if you re-turn we all need clarity on your problem again.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
2002=EGR AFAIK.

Connectors are same, but engine wouldn't run at all if swapped.
Some years will run without cam sensors, Neons it was the same thing, some would, some wouldn't
Yep,

That's what I read too. Some PT engines will run in a default mode when the cam sensor is not detected. However, when a faulty or out-of-time (due to magnet or lack there of) sensor is connected, the engine may not run at all.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Oct 2014 at 10:32 am.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have such a problem with this information being posted right now! Really unless someone can explain this in technical terms how an engine will run without the cam sensors information from the cam sensor to the PCM than I would have to say someone is stretching the limits of real information!

The cam sensor is a vital part to send information to the PCM to control engine ignition and fueling. Without that information the PCM can not control engine function. The PCM does not have nor does it store engine operation information even for a default engine running control without a functioning (or failing) cam sensor.

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Oct 2014 at 12:43 pm. Reason: nope I decided to leave the response!
Old 22 Oct 2014, 01:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First Lynn, this thread is not about you and let's not make it about you.

Second, take it up with UptownSport. He has first had information. My information is all second hand from various sources that you too can find if you look for them. Instead, I ask you not to make claims that no PT will run without the cam sensor unless you can substantiate it. You're just guessing and you are dismissing what the OP has described based on your guess.

And please don't respond. Again, this thread is not about you.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Oct 2014 at 01:05 pm.